Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

windows 98

i have just re-installed win 98 and after an eternity of searching for the display driver i now cant find the audio driver. i cant seem to find which one im running - ive run diagnostic progs such as si-sandra and driver guides toolkit but i cant find out which soud card i have. can any one tell me how to find this stuff out? and where i can get the appropriate driver? a pc without sound is NOT WORTH HAVING.
thanks in advance.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: windows 98
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: windows 98
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: windows 98

In reply to: windows 98

First question: is this a name machine with a preconfigured configuration (like Compaq). Then you can download the drivers from their site. Or maybe they have a recovery CD.

Second question: does the machine have a separate sound card, or is the sound integrated on the motherboard. If on the mobo: find and install the motherboard drivers. If a separate sound card: take it out and have a good look at it to see if you can find any identification.

If everything fails, consider buying another sound card.
A Soundblaster 16 PCI (agreed, rather old) goes for $16. Also, eBay will have a lot of sound cards to choose from.

Hope this helps,

Kees

Collapse -
Re: windows 98

In reply to: Re: windows 98

my computer was bought from time (shop in england) i have no recovery disk. i think i have integrated sund on the MSI main board and it might very well be supported by VIA tech. but i tried their drivers and no luck unfortunatly. is there any dignostic prog. to check exactly which sound chip i have?

Collapse -
Via tech would do some, but not sound.

In reply to: Re: windows 98

STOP!!! Don't zero in on the sound chip. You want the MAKE (MSI) and the MODEL of the motherboard, then head to the MSI website to fetch the sound driver. There is no assurance that finding the soundchip driver will work on your motherboard.

Do it right and save yourself a lot of time.

Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GRAMMYS 2019

Here's Everything to Know About the 2019 Grammys

Find out how to watch the Grammy Awards if you don't have cable and more.