Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Windows 95 -start-up problems

My computer crashed and when I restart I get the message "Invalid disk sysytem- replace disk." From another WINDOWS 95 computer I loaded on to the disk an Emergency recovery. This allows me to get into MS-DOS. When I prompt "DIR" it shows all my files for the c drive and E drive. I realize now that when I trasfered all my files from the C drive to the E drive during start-up the computer searchs the C drive for the start -up files and can't find them. I do not have a start-up disk nor the Microsft operating discks to reload. I have used the commands WIN but get message " command or file name not recognized"

Any suggestions?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows 95 -start-up problems
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows 95 -start-up problems
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:Windows 95 -start-up problems

In reply to: Windows 95 -start-up problems

Please clarify what you mean when you say "I transfered all my files from the C drive to the E drive."

Collapse -
Re:Re:Windows 95 -start-up problems

In reply to: Re:Windows 95 -start-up problems

My original C Drive (2 gigs) was running out of storage. I connected a second drive(E)with 3 gigs and moved everything to that drive thinking I would be able to boot up from that drive. I have both connected.
When i give the command "C: and "DIR" (also when I do the same for the E drive) it lists all the files.

I have tried commands of WIN and WINDOWS but all I get is command or file name not recognized.

Collapse -
(NT) And can't you transfer them back from MS-DOS?

In reply to: Windows 95 -start-up problems

Collapse -
Re:(NT) And can't you transfer them back from MS-DOS?

In reply to: (NT) And can't you transfer them back from MS-DOS?

I believe I am in Ms-DOS - Files are all there in the C and E drive . How do I get to Windows. I don't know ms-dos commands.

Collapse -
Try swapping the drives.

In reply to: Re:(NT) And can't you transfer them back from MS-DOS?

I understand that with 'transfer' you mean 'copy', not 'move'.

If E: is a perfect copy of C: when it was still bootable, the computer would boot from E: if you made it C:. But I wonder if E: really is a perfect copy, active partition and all.

It's unclear why c: has become unbootable. There's nothing in your story telling what you did to c: after you 'transferred' the files to e:.

Depending on the state of c: and e:, it might be necessary to format c:, reinstall Windows and applications, and copy your data from e:. You're lucky your data is still available.
Of course, if you want the new hard disk to be your primary hard disk, better swap the disks, format and install on the old e: (c: after swapping), then copy your files from the old c: (e: after swapping).

Hope this helps.

Kees

Collapse -
its good way

In reply to: Try swapping the drives.

I second this solution it is best and last way to do. In 98 or earlier we don't have much facility ...as you said you got your data completely and you are now safe side so that leave restoration of windows because it's sure your pc had been hacked and you cant resolve this problem until and unless you do not free your hard drive from these virus and trojans.

You can this step for experiment as knowledge..

Make your hard drive as slave and

Boot your PC by another hard drive which is the
perfect running

And scan completely your hard drive by latest updated software or tools

Than see the result (it will be unbelieveable for you)

Important advise. Do this experiment with any help.

Take Care, See you

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.