Windows 8 forum

Resolved Question

Windows 8 Tile Page Disappears

by mypyrex / November 14, 2014 12:53 AM PST

I'm using Windows 8.1. When I have the desktop showing and click on either the Windows key on the keyboard or the Windows icon in the bottom left hand corner of my screen I get the page showing all the "tiles" for things like Mail, Store, OneDrive etc.

So far so good. When I then click on one of those tiles the "Tile Page" completely disappears but its icon then appears in the bar at the bottom of the page. If I then click on that item it flashes up on the screen for about 1/50th of a second and just leaves the icon at the bottom of the screen again with the screen display reverting to the desktop. This happened earlier in the week and rectified when I rebooted. However it's gone again now.

Has anyone else had this problem and how can it be rectified?

Windows 8 is crap. There was nothing wrong with XP.

mypyrex has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows 8 Tile Page Disappears
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows 8 Tile Page Disappears
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by mypyrex

Collapse -
This just in. Yup it's a bug.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 25, 2014 1:35 AM PST

I can now write that I've spotted this enough times to call it a bug. To get it to happen on demand is really hard but it was in some full screen app and then the Alt+Tab key was tapped one and it was the blank screen. Pretty odd but Alt+Tab 2 times got it to a desktop screen.

Also, the Charms did work so I'm guessing you want this fixed.

You did nothing wrong here and I wish you the best of luck with the machine's maker and Microsoft.
Bob

Collapse -
(NT) Typo. Change that to "tapped once"
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 25, 2014 3:56 AM PST
Collapse -
Answer
What stops you from using XP?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 14, 2014 1:06 AM PST

It's not as if one can't buy it.

OK, to get back to the Metro Desktop I use the Charms menu. Here there are 5 icons and the middle one takes me back to the Metro Desktop.
Bob

Collapse -
Windows 8 was Pre Installed
by mypyrex / November 14, 2014 2:39 AM PST

The new pc which I bought last year came with Windows 8 already installed and I understand there will no longer be support for XP

Collapse -
Here's the thing.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 14, 2014 2:48 AM PST

For years I've heard this no support claim and when I poll folk as to how many called Microsoft for support the numbers came up zero. I've asked this question for years and in about a decade it was zero across hundreds. So what is this support you speak of? We know that the OS patches will end but that doesn't stop folk from using it.

Back to your issue with 8. I was on another 8.1 system and the bottom bar did do something odd but the Charms menu worked. Windows has a long sordid history of buggy behavior. I see a lot of folk bailing as well as complaining but given all the fine choices we have today, no need to tell the Emperor how fine his clothes are.
Bob

Collapse -
Windows 8 Tile Page Disappears Contd
by mypyrex / November 14, 2014 3:38 AM PST
In reply to: Here's the thing.

Be that as it may I have spent money on something which in my opinion and that of everyone else I have spoken to is rubbish.

Collapse -
At the office
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 14, 2014 3:56 AM PST

We banned it for a while but later with the release of Classic Shell that addressed our concerns and we're back at work. Sorry but I thought we were working an issue or discussing XP. Anyhow, vote with your wallet.
Bob

Collapse -
there are alternatives
by James Denison / November 24, 2014 2:37 AM PST

Some darn good ones too!

Spatry has many good videos.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HD6nqQrJx78&list=TLWL14QpXAH3E

He does my favorite, but now it's a version higher. Among the top three favorites of former windows users.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eB6RR-3vJZ4&index=8&list=TLWL14QpXAH3E

This system is very fully developed, more so than windows, but with more comes learning curve. I consider it my second favorite. There is now the next version than this video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAd5DYycfVg

For the female side of it, can't beat Nixie Pixel.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7G7TJyZPKPo

many screenshots.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TohFtf920c

(former windows user)

Collapse -
very indepth video
by James Denison / November 24, 2014 3:24 AM PST
In reply to: there are alternatives
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_v7fnMfFdrI

this is the one I use as my main system now. I actually abandoned XP a year early to move over to this after "testing it". I found I had quit "testing it" and was prefering to "use it" instead.
Collapse -
Answer
Give Windows 10 a try
by itsdigger / November 24, 2014 3:07 AM PST
Collapse -
Yes, it's the best since XP
by James Denison / November 24, 2014 3:18 AM PST
In reply to: Give Windows 10 a try

for windows in my opinion. It still has hangovers from win8 "Metro", but mroe like a sidekick or tag along, not a problem at all, the main part being given over to the new start menu.

Collapse -
Really?
by itsdigger / November 24, 2014 8:28 AM PST

Windows 10 is running great for me ,I just installed the newest build which is 9879 and it's ROCKIN'. No glitches so far.

Maybe you're seeing some problems because you're running it in a Virtual Machine .

Digger

Collapse -
(NT) leftovers instead of hangovers?
by James Denison / November 24, 2014 10:28 AM PST
Collapse -
I still don't see it James
by itsdigger / November 24, 2014 7:29 PM PST

As far as I can tell, Windows 10 is a win win situation for someone who doesn't like 8 or 8.1 .
They can install 10 over 8 and 8.1 and keep all of their files , folders and settings without any loss and since the OP has a newer computer all the devices such as scanners and printers will just work without any hassles.

I can do everything with Win 10 , my scanner/printer does everything it's supposed to , could'nt with Any Linux Distro,
All games run well, Not with Linux though
I can watch Amazon Prime movies with Win 10 , not with Linux as Adobe does not support Linux
People have different needs for their computers and these things I listed are game changers for me.

I would suggest NOT using Avast anti virus as it has been having problems with recent Windows updates .
I'm using the stock Microsoft AV that came with Windows 10 ...It's a slick OS
Linux runs great with older stuff but if all the OP's equipment is newer ,the OP will be disappointed ,

Digger

Collapse -
Windows 8
by mypyrex / November 24, 2014 9:11 PM PST

None of which is of any help to me with my original question.

Collapse -
by James Denison / November 25, 2014 2:14 AM PST
In reply to: Windows 8
"When I then click on one of those tiles the "Tile Page" completely disappears but its icon then appears in the bar at the bottom of the page. If I then click on that item it flashes up on the screen for about 1/50th of a second and just leaves the icon at the bottom of the screen again with the screen display reverting to the desktop. This happened earlier in the week and rectified when I rebooted."

That's because nobody really knows what's causing it on your system. Since it doesn't happen always, but intermittently, this is indication not of a software problem, but hardware. My best guess is your mouse is doing double clks when you do a single clk. Try a different mouse and see if the problem quits. If so, then you have your solution. If not that, then anything else is guesswork at this point.
Collapse -
two ships passing in the night
by James Denison / November 25, 2014 1:45 AM PST

I don't know who or what you are arguing with or about because I've not disagreed with you. You must be reading it wrong.

Collapse -
Arguing?
by itsdigger / November 25, 2014 2:11 PM PST

I don't know what you mean. I haven't argued with you at all.
I agree that Linux is a great OS for older systems but, it's not a replacement for Windows on newer systems.
It's just not ready for prime time.
You pointed out all of the benefits of Mint in earlier posts in this thread and I have to say that it's only true if you have old computers and peripherals.

I have new computers with new modern GPU's and printers and scanners and games and Linux is not a player.

That's it , not an argument at all, just the truth...spin it any way you choose

Digger

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?