Windows 8 forum

Question

windows 8 problem after update

i have a Hp Pavillion notebook Pc with stock windows 8. today after installing updates it started rebooting repeatedly. adter a few times i saw Getting ready and Installing devices(it had refreshed my pc or something i guess) anyways i logged on and the screen was flickering with my start window and desktop. i tried restarting but got no results. i tried restoring, refreshing and reseting but nothing worked so i put in my HP DVDs and started system restore. Now, while installing, my pc gives an error at 90% progress about some *.swp file which could not b copied which it skips and continues with the installation. on rebooting, it gets to the login screen but gives a message that windows is not installed correctly! Please advice! Thanks a lot!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: windows 8 problem after update
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: windows 8 problem after update
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Time to contact the manufacturer

In reply to: windows 8 problem after update

When I've run into this kind of thing, I format the hard drive, check it for bad sectors, then restore from a backup. I take it you don't have a backup Sad so I hope you've learned your lesson from this. Contact your computer's manufacturer, and get them to send you the discs you'll need to restore to factory settings.
`
<span id="INSERTION_MARKER"> When you've gotten your system back like you want it, I urge you to get yourself an external hard drive and a good 3rd party backup program. You can set it up to do everything automagically at the time and frequency of your choice. 1 TB external hard drives are about $70 these days and a really good FREE backup program is the Easeus Todo Backup Free which you can download fromhttp://www.todo-backup.com/products/home/free-backup-software.htm . That can save you a lot of time and frustration the next time something like this happens. Sooner or later it happens to all computers for one reason or another.
`
Good luck.
<div>
</div>

Collapse -
have the discs!!

In reply to: Time to contact the manufacturer

Actually i do have the discs. And about the backup, i have everything important backed-up! So if you could tell me how to proceed like formatimg my hdd without an OS an further in installing win 8 through my HP recovery CD's!

Collapse -
Just put disc 1

In reply to: have the discs!!

into the optical drive and restart the computer. Hopefully you set the bios to boot from the CD/DVD Drive . If not when you reboot keep tapping f12 and choose boot from CD/DVD and enter, follow instructions from there

Collapse -
tried that

In reply to: Just put disc 1

I tried doing that. I have 3 discs, with the 3rd disc, it gives an error in copying one file and prompts to skip it!
it finishes the installation, reboots and gives me the error for reinstalling on the login page!

one ques. If i copy that file manually using ubuntu live usb, as in boot ubuntu, insert DVD, copy that file manually to reqd folder!do you think it will work.?

Collapse -
(NT) wpg better answer that one

In reply to: tried that

Collapse -
Did you format C: when you tried the discs?

In reply to: tried that

Usually the restore to factory settings will format the C: drive, but you should check because if you have a bad sector somewhere, you need to check for that and assign an alternate. If that's not the problem, then you likely have a defective disc 3. That's why I suggested contacting HP to get another. The situation you're in is also why I recommend regular full system backups because if you had that, you could be back up and running in 30 min. or less with drivers, Windows, applications, data and everything without worring about those discs which can easily get scratched.
`
Good luck.

Collapse -
(NT) Just do what Digger says - it'll let you format the drive.

In reply to: have the discs!!

Collapse -
help me man!

In reply to: Just do what Digger says - it'll let you format the drive.

Wpg tell me if that is possible man! If you want i can post a snap of the error im getting!

Collapse -
I think you should be able to do that

In reply to: help me man!

what do you have to lose? Try It

Collapse -
There's no .SWP file in Windows 7 or 8

In reply to: help me man!

I just searched my Windows 7 and 8 systems, and there's no .SWP file on either. This further substantiates my suspicion that your disc 3 is defective. Sorry.

Collapse -
error message

In reply to: There's no .SWP file in Windows 7 or 8

The error shows data copying error from my d drive. The recovery partition that came along with my PC. Not the discs!
ne idea what happens if i remove the existing recovery partition in someway like ubuntu live and thrn try with the discs.?

Collapse -
Whoa!

In reply to: error message

Do you have a repair option on your recovery partition?

Dafydd.

Collapse -
isn't the d drive

the optical drive ?

Collapse -
(NT) On my...

In reply to: isn't the d drive

Collapse -
(NT) There're no fixed drive letters for anything but C:

In reply to: isn't the d drive

Collapse -
You know, you really need to post the exact err msg.

We're really floundering around because we don't have the exact error message, so please post that message. Only as a very last resort would I delete that recovery partition.

Collapse -
the d drive is

In reply to: You know, you really need to post the exact err msg.

Collapse -
How'd you come up with .SWP?

In reply to: the d drive is

...Those files aren't .SWP, they're .$WM, so I'm at a loss as to how you could've come up with .SWP. Also I clicked on the 2nd link, but after it download 2 GB and was still downloading, I canceled it. ***?? Copying them with Ubuntu would do you no good either.
As I said initially, you really need to contact HP because your posts are making less and less sense. I hope you're seeing why you need to make full system backups to an external hard drive. If you had, you'd have been up and running a long time ago. Live and learn.

Collapse -
weekend

In reply to: How'd you come up with .SWP?

Its weekend and i can't get to HP that is the reason i needed help from you guys! As for the file extension it was a genuine mistake! And i checked the link just as i was posting here and it works very fine!

I dont get it that if i have my recovery partition, my HP discs and i don't care about my data( i keep evrything safe backed up) then why do i need a full system backup!!

Collapse -
Instruction

In reply to: weekend

Are the recovery CDs from the factory or were they created by the user on recordable CDs? If latter, you cannot be certain they were done properly and checked that they could successfully restore the factory image.

A factory CD set should restore your hard drive to exactly the image it had when shipped from the factory, including all partitions such as System Reserved and System Recovery.
It sounds to me like you don't have the factory CDs.

Furthermore, make sure your BIOS is set to default before you do any factory re-imaging because the image assumes that the configuration is the same as when the snapshot was taken, so if it's not there Windows may fail to boot. That is another reason why user created images are risky, no matter how you do the image backup. If the user had changed BIOS config, then forgot it, you don't know what will happen when trying to boot from a re-imaged drive.

At this point you should contact HP for support instructions.

Collapse -
I'll make this as simple as I know how

In reply to: weekend

Here's the simplest way I know how to put this. If you have a full system backup to an external hard drive, you won't have the problems you're having now.
If you continue to deny this, you're going to continue to have the kind of problems you're struggling with right now. Whether or not you believe and/or understand that, I can't say; but I'm speaking from decades of experience. If you don't believe this, you'll simply have to learn from the painful school of hard knocks. Your choice.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.