Windows 8 forum

Question

Windows 8 print attach file from email without open it?

by JorgeArzateL / July 25, 2013 2:55 AM PDT

I used to work on Windows 7, I use to open my email and just make a click on the attached file (PDF for example) then just a simple click on Quick Print icon and that's it, the PDF file goes directly to the printer -no need to open the file-, so NOW on Windows 8 when I make a click on the attachment and, at the time to send to the printer, the file is opened and then I need to print it from there. The thing is that I need to print several files from several email daily. What I used to take me a few minutes to do it now I take a lot of time to do finish it.

Please help

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows 8 print attach file from email without open it?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows 8 print attach file from email without open it?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
I'm going with no.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 25, 2013 3:03 AM PDT

Even the process of printing must open said file to render it for printing so unless your printer can print PDFs without use of the host PC then my answer is again no. As it stands today the file would always get opened even if we never see it happen.

Why it might have worked better in 7 has me guessing. For example the email application matters here. At the office I can right click and select print from the email app. But since I can't find what email apps were used I wonder if that's what changed.

Did you try this in Thunderbird?
Bob

Collapse -
Thank you
by JorgeArzateL / July 25, 2013 4:13 AM PDT
In reply to: I'm going with no.

I will keep trying, hope find another way to make faster....

Thanks

Collapse -
Answer
Windows 8 print attach file from email without open it?
by livepcexpert7 / July 26, 2013 5:59 AM PDT

Here are a few steps which you can follow:

To enable drag and drop printing, all you have to do is create a shortcut to
the printer on your desktop

a. Right click on a empty area on desktop, and click on New and Shortcut.

b. Copy paste the below code into the location area, and click on the Next
button.

Code: rundll32.exe shell32.dll,SHHelpShortcuts_RunDLL PrintersFolder

c. Type Printers for the name, and click on the Finish button.
NOTE: You can name this anything you would like though.

d. Right click on the new Printers shortcut on the Desktop and click on
Properties.

e. Click on the Shortcut tab, then click on the Change Icon button.

f. In the line under "Look for icons in this file", type in the code below
and press Enter.

Code: C:\Windows\System32\imageres.dll

g. Select the icon highlighted in blue above and click on OK. NOTE: You can
use any icon that you would like instead though.

h. Click on OK.

i. Move the shortcut to where you like for easy use. You can then just drag
files over the printer and they will be printed

Collapse -
Do not print
by JorgeArzateL / July 28, 2013 11:54 PM PDT

I did all the step but at the time to put the file over the icon (made a printer icon) it just show a black circle, do you know why?

Collapse -
I found the answer
by JorgeArzateL / August 8, 2013 6:56 AM PDT
In reply to: Do not print

Thank you guys who tried to help me.

The answer was to install Adobe and make it the default open file and that resolve the issue at all.

Regards

Collapse -
Answer
Well first of all
by orlbuckeye / August 11, 2013 9:31 PM PDT

it you hit the print commend in your email client it will print the contents of the email. To print an attachment the associated program must run and in this case a .pdf Adobe reader but be opened. PDF file HAVE to be opened by Adobe or a compatible software like it (Foxit).

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?