Windows 8 forum

Question

Windows 8 OEM key for Windows 8 retail

by Suazee / December 19, 2013 10:40 PM PST

I have a copy of Windows 8 Pro from DreamSpark as part of my uni. I also get a key with it. HOwever, my laptop comes with OEM embedded into the BIOS. Can I use the Windows 8 Pro from DreamSpark to use on my laptop? And maybe use the OEM key to activate it?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows 8 OEM key for Windows 8 retail
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows 8 OEM key for Windows 8 retail
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
You could try.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 19, 2013 10:43 PM PST

The DreamSpark from what I've seen has it's own activation so why would we use and OEM key?

That is, the OEM license is less than the DreamSpark so if it worked right you would have a lesser OS without any hope of support.

-> What Windows 8 Pro is embedded in the BIOS? So far none have done that!

I wonder if you have one of those Windows 8 RT tablets and didn't tell.
Bob

Collapse -
by Suazee / December 19, 2013 11:06 PM PST
In reply to: You could try.

I just recently got a new laptop, and I want to install a brand new, fresh copy of Windows 8 on it so that it doesn't have any bloatware from the producers.

The one I have right now on the laptop is just Windows 8, and I was told that the OEM versions have Windows 8 key built in into the BIOS.

I don't have a windows 8 RT tablet.

Collapse -
Re: key
by Kees_B Forum moderator / December 20, 2013 12:33 AM PST
In reply to: Reply

Certainly not in the BIOS. It should be on the sticker, and that's all.

Three things to be sure of before you start, just in case it doesn't work:
- I'm able to go back to factory conditions from the recovery media I made.
- I have downloaded all necessary drivers and utility programs for Windows 8 for my laptop and safely stored them on a USB-stick.
- I know the right sequence to install those drivers and utilities.

It might be easier to just uninstall that bloatware.

Kees

Collapse -
by Suazee / December 20, 2013 2:30 AM PST
In reply to: Re: key

Yep I've done everythign. Since I'm swapping out hard drives I don't need to make recovery media. Uninstalling it might still leave some residual files behind.

Collapse -
Your comment about bloatware.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 20, 2013 1:51 AM PST

Once in a while I find a client that wants a clean install but they often burn out as they discover it's not that easy.

For example, many laptops have "helper apps" that some newer folk would call bloatware. But it's required apps to turn on/off WiFi or provide a 3 times longer battery life span.

Unless you are a seasoned Windows installer on laptops, the clean install is usually a trial by fire and does tend to send folk screaming away in flames.

Be sure you can restore the PC to its factory condition before you start. Also, you may find no support in doing this. Unless you pay.
Bob

Collapse -
by Suazee / December 20, 2013 2:26 AM PST

I've done this quite a lot, from my old HP to my old Macbook. I just got a new laptop so I want to install a fresh copy. Uninstalling bloatwares might still leave some files behind.

Since I'm swapping out the whole hard drive (Replacing a normal one with a 1 tb SSD), I can always revert back later if something goes wrong haha.

Collapse -
Then it should be fun.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 20, 2013 2:41 AM PST

Just to repeat, I find folk going down in flames looking for drivers when it's in some app. Another common oversight is the Intel RST app. Folk do a clean install, end up with worse performance over not knowing about the apps you install after the OS and drivers.
Bob

Collapse -
by Suazee / December 20, 2013 8:14 AM PST
In reply to: Then it should be fun.

The MSI website conveniently gives me all the drivers I need, so I think I got it all. Thanks a lot for your advice. I'll install and hopefully update in the future Happy

Collapse -
No when you buy a computer now
by orlbuckeye / December 24, 2013 10:57 PM PST

the vendor activates windows before you buy it. That means they enter the key when they install and activate.

Collapse -
Answer
Re: key
by Kees_B Forum moderator / December 19, 2013 10:43 PM PST

If your laptop already has Windows 8, why use another Windows 8?
It's quite doubtful if you can use the same key for different versions.

Kees

Collapse -
by Suazee / December 19, 2013 11:06 PM PST
In reply to: Re: key

I want to install a fresh copy of Windows 8 so there are no bloatware.

Collapse -
Just to to Programs in
by orlbuckeye / December 24, 2013 10:59 PM PST

Control Panel and remove the programs you don't want. That's easier then reinstalling the OS then reinstalling all the drivers.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

We are giving away 'Black Panther' swag!

Four lucky readers will be taking home *Marvel*ous "Black Panther" prizes, including magazines autographed by the King of Wakanda himself! Giveaway ends Feb. 25, 2018.