Computer Help forum

Question

Windows 8 Laptop How do I increase Dedicated Video Ram?

Hello, I'm a PC gamer and I currently have been having FPS drops and just naturally unplayable frames. I checked websites to see if you can run games at a desirable FPS and found that I have 32 MB dedicated video ram, which is incredibly low. If I could just fix that DVR I would be fine. So I would like to know ways I can increase my dedicated video ram or if it's impossible and I'll have to switch to a desktop computer. Here are my PC specs.
Intel(R) Pentium(R) CPU 2020M @ 2.40 GHz 2.40 GHz
4.00 GB (3.88 GB usable)
64-bit Operating System, x64- based operator

Thanks for reading and thanks for the help!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows 8 Laptop How do I increase Dedicated Video Ram?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows 8 Laptop How do I increase Dedicated Video Ram?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Without make/model?

In reply to: Windows 8 Laptop How do I increase Dedicated Video Ram?

The only place onboard video ram is set by the BIOS. So without make/model it's a tough guess where else it could be.
Bob

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Video etc.

As Mr. Proffitt stated, you'd go to bios to do that. Manufacturer and model number could help. That is an entry level unit from the basic parameters shown and is not geared toward high end gaming but rather basic usage and some basic gaming. A World of Warcraft machine it is not nor is it likely to be, even if you can/could increase vid ram within the system. You mentioned going to a desktop, that would be the way to go and of course with a higher end GPU, more ram a standalone vid card, etc.

Collapse -
Answer
need computer model

we really need the full laptop model number so we know what type of graphics you have and if you can increase the ram. One thing to note, laptops make terrible gaming machines so I doubt you will get the fix you are hoping for.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.