Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Windows 8 for $14.99 from Microsoft

by James Denison / October 20, 2012 5:44 AM PDT
If anyone's interested and meets the requirements.

I still have two copies of W7 sitting in new boxes, never installed. I installed a copy of Vista Premium a year or so ago and other than messing around in it a bit, ended up still using the XP other bootup system on that computer. Admittedly the graphics on Vista are an improvement, but that's all I liked about it.
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows 8 for $14.99 from Microsoft
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows 8 for $14.99 from Microsoft
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) Great!
by lylesg / October 20, 2012 8:20 AM PDT
Collapse -
(NT) $14.99 is too much for Win8
by Steven Haninger / October 20, 2012 8:57 AM PDT
Collapse -
What's the urge to switch if it's so different?
by James Denison / October 20, 2012 10:42 AM PDT

I could see this as the time for Linux to finally shine since it's copied a lot of the older windows ways of doing things in various releases such as Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Knoppix, Freespire, Linspire, etc.

One of the things that keep more from doing Linux versions is the differences can be enough that people don't want to go to trouble to learn a new system. However this windows 8 might be different enough direction, that Linux versions which eventually surpass XP will benefit, especially if they are seen as more "windows like" now as Microsoft moves to W8 instead.

I don't know how close Android is to the Linux distros, but I bet it's easier for those using it now on tablets and cellphones, to move over to a Linux system.

I think the biggest move toward getting more to take a look at Linux for a home desktop alternative was the Live CD's they created for some distros. An convenient in the pocket OS on a thumbdrive that can plug into a USB port on any computer from past decade and boot up.

Will W8 encourage many to remain with XP, Vista, and W7 only, or will it also have a larger number look for a different upgrade path to a Linux distro in the future?

Collapse -
Win8 is for the touchscreen crowd
by Steven Haninger / October 20, 2012 8:59 PM PDT

I'll stick with 7 unless MS can offer an alternative Win7 desktop which they do not right now. I've tried the pre-release and can't customize it to my tastes. I've made small excursions into Linux over the years but have driven right back out. I've not been able to get under the hood of that one at all. My son is good with Linux and younger brains have advantages over older ones. I may need to pick up and stow away another copy of Win7 as I'm running an upgrade version which requires XP to make it install. I still have the HD from my previous rig and images of that drive in my backup collection. Should I have a catastrophic hardware failure losing my MB, I might need to do a clean installation. That might not be so bad as a few quirky things have happened with my Win7 installation over time. Web folders no longer work, etc. Oh well.

Collapse -
W8 & Linux
by James Denison / October 20, 2012 10:56 PM PDT

W8 is going where Unity desktop for Ubuntu is already. Purpose of both is to provide seemless interfaces which are the same for use of desktops and laptops with tablets and phones. My preferred desktop type for use in Linux is KDE. My preferred system is Knoppix or Kubuntu version. Lately there's been a version I want to try, looks like one I'd have some fun with, called Linux Mint. All of those are Debian based. Knoppix was one of the first with a Live CD, so maybe I got caught on it by the Baby Duck Syndrome. Most of the time though I still use W2K even though I have an XP system on newer computer, but lately some Flash videos (11.4 version needed) won't run in it and no upgrade available to correct that.

Collapse -
As we speak I'm downloading some Ubuntu iso
by Steven Haninger / October 20, 2012 11:03 PM PDT
In reply to: W8 & Linux

I do some volunteer work in a school and they are in need of a guest PC but are out of Windows licenses or the funding for the volume licenses they do have restricts their use to student PCs only. We're using a retired PC and all it will need to do is run a web browser. I'm hoping it will just work as I can't offer any support for it. We'll see how it goes.

Collapse -
Downloaded and installed successfully
by Steven Haninger / October 21, 2012 7:03 PM PDT

Actually, this version seems quite impressive after trying the old Red Hats years ago. I tried the Google OS and it's just a pain on a desktop PC. Ubuntu looks like a winner for the intended purpose of this machine. That purpose is to not need a Linux geek at the ready.

Collapse -
yes, Linux has finally arrived for desktop
by James Denison / October 22, 2012 2:53 AM PDT

especially for doing web browser stuff, cloud computing. There's a woman at church without a computer and I've been debating about fixing up one I'm going to quit using soon for her and probably put both Vista and Ubuntu (or Mint Linux) on it in double boot, and make the default be Linux to boot. I might even put Vista on it instead in a virtual box under Linux, so any windows specific programs can be loaded to it. I'm still looking around for a used monitor I can pickup cheap, maybe some thrift electronics store in the area. She uses computer at work, but hasn't one at home. The motherboard uses older VIA chips which Linux easily supports, it's a Biostar M7VIG Pro or 400 or variant thereof, I can't remember offhand. The graphics are fine for most webstuff, but videos on Youtube above 360 setting don't run well.

I'm also considering just putting Linux Ubuntu on it and if she finds that not enough to her liking after trying it out, put a Vista extra copy on there then in addition. When Vista loads up it will recognize the other system and offer to create a double boot, so long as the drive is in two partitions or more.

Collapse -
Booting to Firefox
by James Denison / October 22, 2012 2:56 AM PDT

under Linux the computer should do fine. I'd make it a limited user account and limit what they could access so someone wouldn't mess up the underlying Linux system. Set to open FF at startup.

Collapse -
I may have one problem and that's printing
by Steven Haninger / October 22, 2012 4:38 AM PDT
In reply to: Booting to Firefox

The user will need to print to a networked Savin office type copy/scan/fax machine. I'm fairly certain that the driver we used for the Windows machines was some universal type and they set up quite easily. The printer has a static address which should be helpful. I see that Savin offers Linux drivers for some of its models. If it will print, it's a keeper.

Collapse -
My problem with lack of upgrades
by Roger NC / October 21, 2012 1:36 AM PDT
In reply to: W8 & Linux

is my newer laptop is Win7 and my older desktops are XP.

I cannot print on either printer over the network from the laptop. When I try to install them on the laptop it gives me a driver not available. Granted the laser is pre-2004 and the inkjet is either 2005 or 2006. Quick web search didn't work, but it was very quick and dirty and impatient.

I haven't given a lot of effort to it yet, since I still do most "work" from the desktops, the laptop is more for browsing from recliner and for use when travelling. There probably are a half dozen workarounds but I just got irritated and quit working on it.

Collapse -
some things you can try
by James Denison / October 21, 2012 9:46 AM PDT

share the printer from the XP computer, then be sure it's turned on and send the print to that "shared printer" on the XP.

Check the IP address of the printer as shows in your router and then setup a printer (using Add Printer or W7 equivalent) on the W7 computer with the IP address as it's destination. I do that on my W2K computer to send to a wireless HP Photosmart C4795 that had no drivers for W2K. I also set the printer to a static LAN IP address so I didn't have to keep changing that setting between printer shutdowns and restarts when it might get assigned a different dynamic IP address from the home router. It works. You may still need to have the XP computer on at the time.

Collapse -
The printer is shared on an XP machine
by Roger NC / October 22, 2012 10:02 AM PDT

and isn't network capable.

I'll try to take a look at your suggestion next time I try to set it up.

Just wondering how often old printers are ignored.

Collapse -
Have you tried Chrome OS from Google?
by James Denison / October 20, 2012 11:00 PM PDT

I have it loaded onto a virtual drive using Microsoft's VPC on an XP machine. That's probably the safest way to test out alternate operating systems, more than booting from a Live CD. In a virtual box you also can avoid hardware problems since it simulates some of the most common hardware. I've discovered in spite of a Virtual Box or Machine supposedly separated from the rest of the system, you can if hooked to a router "see" the host machine and join it's network and then exchange files between the host system and the guest system in the virtual box using "sharing". Your router will give both an IP number.

Collapse -
Good thought.
by Steven Haninger / October 20, 2012 11:04 PM PDT

Maybe I'll try it on the machine I just mentioned.

Collapse -
Pass.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 21, 2012 10:04 AM PDT

While the office will get this, this round has me waiting for Windows 9.

Collapse -
Me too
by James Denison / October 21, 2012 11:44 AM PDT
In reply to: Pass.

I've been looking at videos online and reading articles and even trying to avoid some obvious bias on part of reporting I can see it's not what I want in a desktop version of windows. I'll eventually move to W7 and then stay there a number of years, but will also consider Linux as a main system for most things then and windows for specific software that doesn't run under Linux.

Moving the task bar to a side with the newer widescreen monitors makes sense.

http://mobileopportunity.blogspot.com/2012/05/fear-and-loathing-and-windows-8.html
windows 8 is not "windows" anymore.

http://lunduke.com/?p=2813

http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/opensource/windows-8-and-linux-the-perception-of-change/3505

http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/10things/10-reasons-why-ubuntu-1210-desktop-blows-away-windows-8/3459

windows 8 videos
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIMuJTrxuhQ&feature=related
decent review of windows 8 beta? See the beta fish. Notice the bubble and it's number. Also note the difficulty in finding the shutoff to turn computer off. No START menu either.

He did an update on windows 8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ohg_oBFKliI&feature=youtu.be

His Dad tries Windows 8 for first time.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyc1RVCXvAk&feature=related

His Dad tries Linux Ubuntu with Unity desktop for first time. Upshot is Dad finds the Unix
version easier, even though they both have the newer tablet and phone look with the "tiles".
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qp2Sqe-Oa5g&feature=watch_response

Someone's "Nan" tries Windows 8. Funny at the end where she's trying to turn it off. It's in a corner?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&v=hxmIsv88xO4&NR=1

A good basic "linux Mint vs windows" video by a teen girl or young woman.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7G7TJyZPKPo&feature=related

A nice walkthrough one of the latest Ubuntu versions, 12.04
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVixm1MUJGU&feature=related

Collapse -
(NT) SOB's, my Win 7 installation is from 2011 Rob
by Ziks511 / October 23, 2012 10:28 AM PDT
Collapse -
No Loss I Suspect
by James Denison / October 23, 2012 4:06 PM PDT

W8 is not being well received, and unless you are going to be interfacing it with a tablet and phone with windows system on it, you are almost certainly better off with windows 7 instead.

Just for fun, I'm typing this in Opera browser version 10.6 from windows 98 se system running in VPC2007 on an XP computer. LINK.

Collapse -
My experience with Win 7 as installed on the refurbished HP
by Ziks511 / October 23, 2012 10:38 AM PDT

laptop I use (probably a store demo), has been so hassle free until this year, that I don't want to do anything except take it to a shop, get it cleaned and checked, and tweaked, and then I'll stick with it just the way it is. There's no point, and I'm too old to be happy to learn a lot of new stuff. The older the OS gets, the less likely I am to get virused.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!