HolidayBuyer's Guide

Windows 8 forum

Question

Windows 8 extremely glitchy...

by AMStevens89 / October 14, 2013 4:49 AM PDT

I honestly hate Windows 8. It's been nothing but trouble since I bought my Asus N76V two months ago. When I bought this computer, it was intended to be used with Adobe Photoshop, Corel Painter, audio recording programs, music notation software, photography programs, etc. I needed something powerful to handle all of this stuff, which my four-year-old Gateway couldn't do. But since I've received my computer, I have found it a lot easier to use my old computer than this one.

Just a little more background on my computer: It's a 17.3" with an Intel Core I7 and 2.4GHz, 8GB of memory and 1TB + 1TB of HDD.

As far as my problems go, one of the big issues is the fact that Shockwave and Flash crash constantly. They'll cause my browsers to hang (I can't find a browser that works with them... I have IE, FireFox, AND Chrome) all the time. This only ever happened once in a while with my old computer. With this one, it's several times a day. And it doesn't matter how many updates you do.

Also, when Windows does its updates, it usually has problems after this... glitchy little issues like freezing, during which I have to do a force shut-down in order to get it to work.

Also, I thought a computer like this would be fast... It doesn't seem a whole lot faster than my old computer. I often get the little hourglass even when performing simple tasks. It's incredibly annoying. I don't know a whole lot about how computers run or what half of the specifications mean; but I do know that it should way outperform my little Windows 7 Gateway, and it definitely does not live up to the reputation that I thought it had.

I guess my question is... what do I do to stop theses issues? I'm at a total loss.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows 8 extremely glitchy...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows 8 extremely glitchy...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
The flash issue is not a Windows 8 issue it seems.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 14, 2013 5:04 AM PDT

Google this and try it.

How to disable Flash Hardware acceleration?

Sorry but at the office we have some dozen Windows 8 laptops and all seem fine. Sorry to read you are having issues.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
It sounds like you need to tune & troubleshoot
by wpgwpg / October 14, 2013 5:33 AM PDT

I have been running Windows 8 on 2 PCs at home since Feb. 2012 and on 4 desktops I support, and, like Bob, I haven't seen any of these problems either. I will say that if you're doing things in the new Metro (aka Modern) mode, I'm not surprised. It's both buggy and unproductive. But if you're doing things in desktop mode, you shouldn't be having problems unless you have some unsupported hardware or software on your laptop. As far as comparing to your old Gateway, you haven't given the first detail about it, so there's no way for anybody to comment on that. I do suspect that you have some device or old software that's not supported on your laptop. Be sure you have the latest versions of any and all Adobe products; I personally saw lots of problems with the Adobe flash player a few months ago, but recent updates have stabilized it for me.

Collapse -
Answer
I've had issues with
by orlbuckeye / October 14, 2013 9:47 PM PDT

Shockwave in XP, Windows 7 and Windows 8. It's mostly in Chrome where I have to problem. I googled it yesterday and there's lots of issue out there.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.