Computer Help forum

Question

Windows 8 doesn't recognise my iPod

by AnnaConder / May 25, 2015 7:40 PM PDT

Hello, I'm hoping someone can help me Happy

My computer (Windows 8 system) won't recognise my early-generation iPod Classic. Here is a summary of information, including the issues, tests and solutions I've tried. Forgive the length, but I've often read in other forums that more detail is needed.

1. The iPod shows briefly under My Computer than disappears.

2. However, it shows under Device and Printers with an exclamation mark

3. I ran diagnostics tests in iTunes. My iPod passed the Connectivity test and failed the Device Sync Test and yet iTunes does recognise my iPod in the Store and also under File then Devices in the Library.

4) When I try to sync my iPod to my iTunes library the iPod says Syncing but disconnects almost immediately.

5). I have updated iTunes.

6). The last time my iPod synced successfully was on my ex-boyfriend's Mac computer. The Mac was password-protected. My iPod shows all of the songs and playlists from my iTunes library on that computer. I deauthorised his computer but it makes no difference. I used to have no trouble syncing my iPod on this computer before my ex loaded my iTunes library onto his computer.

7). I've bought and tested a new USB cable for my iPod. That wasn't the problem.

8). I also installed the iPod successfully on another computer, so that wasn't the problem either.

9). I tried a different USB port on my computer and that didn't change anything.

10). I have done a settings reset and a Restore on my iPod.

11). I did a Troubleshoot under Devices and Printers. It said the USB Mass Storage Device wasn't working properly and that Windows was uninstalling it (Code 21).

12). I have Apple Mobile Device Support on my computer

13). The driver is C:\Windows\system32\drivers\usbstor.sys - at least I thought it was. It looks like it's defaulted back to C:\Windows\system32\DRIVERS\edevmon.sys, however this is what the latest timestamp says: Driver Name: usbstor.inf Class GUID: {36FC9E60-C465-11CF-8056-444553540000} Service: USBSTOR. Not sure what to believe! At one point I did an Uninstall of my iPod (after first installing C\Program Files\Common Files\ - which didn't help.

... Windows keeps saying it's uninstalling the iPod.

15) I uninstalled my iPod manually then disconnected it, and it reappeared under Drivers and Devices as soon as I plugged it in again. The exclamation mark error still showed. I then did a Remove (device) and then clicked Add a Device. It didn't find my iPod (which had appeared of its own accord anyway).

16). I opened and clicked on Hardware and Devices, Troubleshoot and Help Prevent Computer Problems. It said hardware changes might not have been detected. Later it also said there was a PnP problem with some PnP devices and that Windows would take steps to fix it (whatever that meant).

17). I clicked Update Driver then Browse my computer for driver software, then found and selected C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\Drivers. The Next screen said the best driver device for my software is already installed.

18). I opened Device Manager and looked at the Universal Serial Bus controllers. All looked fine except for the USB Mass Storage Device, which had an exclamation mark beside it. I asked the computer to scan hardware changes. When I clicked on the Mass Storage Device, it said again that Windows was uninstalling it. Every time I troubleshoot the device it says that, but nothing ever happens.

19). I checked the Universal Serial Bus Controllers earlier and the computer said they were all "healthy".

I could keep checking for other solutions but as you might guess I've spent much of the day reading forums and trying solutions (for better or worse) so I'm pretty shattered and could really use some help.

Thank you in advance...

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows 8 doesn't recognise my iPod
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows 8 doesn't recognise my iPod
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Maybe try
by itsdigger / May 27, 2015 4:13 AM PDT

unplugging the IPod and uninstalling the Driver than reboot the computer and plug the IPod back in and see if the proper driver installs

Just a shot in the dark
Digger

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
I just plugged...
by James Denison / May 27, 2015 5:04 AM PDT

...my daughter's iPod into my Linux Mint 17 computer and all her folders and files appeared and the videos and music played in VLC OK. So, if you get a LIVE DVD of such, and boot to it, you can see if the problem is windows or the iPod device.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!