Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

Resolved Question

Windows 8 apps problem and Avast!

by sylorein / February 4, 2014 7:32 PM PST

Here's the thing, I recently installed Avast! av to clean up some viruses on my computer as my McAfee didn't help at all. it worked well at first, until i discovered that i couldn't open any of my windows 8 apps. the apps just showed its splash screen then it wouldn't open. so i tried finding the reasons why it happened. I found out that to open the apps, it needs something called 'roaming' files. (correct me if i'm wrong). Unfortunately, the infected files found by avast! is the roaming files and currently stored inside the virus chest.
therefore preventing me from opening the windows apps.

the virus name is "dygeanlxqx..vbs" its type is "VBS:Decode-BD [trj]"
its location is in c:\Users\lenovo\AppData\roaming
it's severity is high (that's what avast said)

My question is, is it a safe to just restore it and let it be? will it effect or infect further my computer in the future.
tq for your attention. Happy it would be a great help if anyone could help me with this problem.

sylorein has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows 8 apps problem and Avast!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows 8 apps problem and Avast!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by sylorein

Collapse -
Could be a false postive detection
by mchainmchain / February 4, 2014 11:04 PM PST

But it also could be that McAfee is still installed on your system. Two active a/v's running at the same time will cause this issue as well as other problems.

I'd leave the files in the avast! chest for now, as they cannot do harm to your system whilst still in there. Do not delete them as they could well be clean legitimate files wrongly detected as malicious.

Avast! Virus Chest does have the option of right-clicking and scanning the detected files whilst still in the chest; useful when the virus database is updated as time goes on. If you feel these are a false positive detection, the same right-click will provide an option to report such directly to Avast!. Meanwhile leave your detected files inside the chest.

There is a second option available to you.

Virus Total dot com provides scanning a file with 42 + virus scanners.

To be able to upload these files to VT, you will have to do a workaround, as Avast! will block uploading these files to VT dot com unless the following steps are taken:

1.) Create a new folder named "Suspect" (without the quotes) on your hard drive outside of windows on the root of the drive. When done properly, it will be a stand-alone folder next to all other folders present on the root of the drive along with windows/program files/users, etc.,.

2.) Open the Avast gui (program window) and select "Settings".

3.) Click Antivirus>scroll down to "Exclusions" and click "Add". A new line will pop up and you select "Browse". Navigate to the newly created Suspect folder and add it to the exclusions list. The file path, when done properly will look like this: C:\Suspect\*

4.) Now you can copy/paste a copy of your infected? files from the virus chest to the Suspect folder without interference from Avast! as you told it not to scan that folder by excluding it from active scanning protection.

5.) Next, open a browser and navigate to Virus Total dot com. Use the newly created Suspect folder to browse for your files and upload one at a time for scanning. Post the resulting url links here in your next reply.

Collapse -
Thanks
by sylorein / February 5, 2014 10:43 PM PST

thx for the reply.

I'll try it later, if i think i really need it someday, i'll try the second option you gave. Happy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Turn up the volume with our Apple Byte sweeps!

Two lucky winners will take home the coveted smart speaker that lets Siri help you around your connected house. This sweepstake ends Feb. 25, 2018.