Computer Help forum

Question

Windows 8.1 Files missing/Deleted

by Fabledarr0w / April 2, 2015 5:41 AM PDT

Here is a picture of my desktop now http://puu.sh/gZaHO/7607d9ecc3.png (The left side and top were full of folders) and my background is now black because everything is gone, I did a system restore to 5 days ago and after a day the same problem occurred. I have also lost notepad saves for 2+ years etc..

I have tried del "c:\Windows Activation Technologies" I don't even have it (I think, and yes I ran this as admin.)http://puu.sh/gZbE0/b814464da7.png I have tried to show hidden files and everything.

Someone please help :/

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows 8.1 Files missing/Deleted
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows 8.1 Files missing/Deleted
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
MP3 Rocket. Again?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 2, 2015 5:53 AM PDT
https://www.google.com/#q=mp3rocket+malware

Look, it's been bantered about forever and it's this simple. You install such at your own choice and peril. There are folk that want it to be good stuff and will debate it over and over. You got burned.

I see malware, spyware or worse so I can't guess why you wanted to delete that folder.
Bob
Collapse -
Help
by Fabledarr0w / April 2, 2015 5:58 AM PDT
In reply to: MP3 Rocket. Again?

I just want to be able to use my computer again, are you saying I have malware because of mp3?

And I want to delete windows activation because the windows 8 "Black screen" seems to be the only thing I can even think that this problem with my computer is, I just simply don't know, what do I have to do?

Collapse -
No. I wrote that I see MP3 Rocket
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 2, 2015 6:14 AM PDT
In reply to: Help

And supplied a search where folk debate it. It's something I won't allow at home or office given the risk. I don't see a Windows 8 Black Screen. Just what looks like a desktop with missing items.

My thought is that as long as folk install such software they will continue to get burned. If you want to start over you could. Most can't because they don't backup their stuff.

There is no good advice I have to fix this other than restoring from your backups and to avoid apps like these that are shady at best.
Bob

Collapse -
Alright
by Fabledarr0w / April 2, 2015 6:17 AM PDT

Thanks for the advice, I will probably have to re-install windows tbh

Collapse -
Answer
illegal install
by renegade600 / April 2, 2015 6:07 AM PDT

the background is black because you do not have a legit copy or activated your windows os. More likely it is not a legit copy since you are wanting to delete the windows activation technologies folder. The only choices are installing a legit copy or using a legit key and activate.

Collapse -
What?
by Fabledarr0w / April 2, 2015 6:13 AM PDT
In reply to: illegal install

I have windows 8.1, I said it deleted my files, that includes my pictures, which is why my background is black man.
This laptop came with windows 8.

Collapse -
windows will delete background
by renegade600 / April 2, 2015 6:20 AM PDT
In reply to: What?

windows will delete background picture when not properly activated and turn it black You are trying to delete the activation folder. what does that say? that tells anyone who reads your post your system is not properly activated and you are trying to avoid activating it.

Collapse -
Dude
by Fabledarr0w / April 2, 2015 6:28 AM PDT

I want to delete the windows activation because the "Black screen" issue is the only one I could find, I just changed my background picture if that makes you happy? Regardless if you look up windows 8 black screen issues everywhere is suggesting to delete the windows activation this isn't just me lol

I don't exactly know what is wrong with my computer this has only been happening for 2 days, and that's the closes problem I have been able to find. "Deleted files & Folders" That's my problem. I have lost important saves, pictures and a lot of personal information, but thanks for the help anyways lol

Collapse -
Really?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 2, 2015 6:44 AM PDT
In reply to: Dude

I supplied a black background video below. No where does it note to delete that folder.

I fear you've dug a hole and won't stop digging.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
Stop blasting away at windows.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 2, 2015 6:18 AM PDT

That folder delete looks uncalled for and a risky move.

http://winaero.com/blog/bug-desktop-turns-black-in-windows-8-1/ looks like a setting to me or the issue they noted.

Let's hope you can do without bad apps or malware and can restore your stuff from backup. Windows is not stable enough to go without those backups. Folk try, get burned and then flame everyone about it.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?