How To forum

Resolved Question

Windows 7x64 bit Back-up

by P51MustangD / May 4, 2012 8:21 AM PDT

Running Windows 7x64 and IE 9, would a 32GB flash-drive be large enough to create a backup for the windows files alone. All the other files, on my C drive .are software downloads from CNET or some purchased.(Security Suite and some PRO additions of your downloads) They can be reinstalled and am looking to create a back-up only for the operating syatem, without al the JUNK ie games, bookmarks Games are both Microsoft and Toshiba and all the, unnessessary stuff that came with PC, but I don't use.

P51MustangD has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows 7x64 bit Back-up
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows 7x64 bit Back-up
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by P51MustangD

Collapse -
Difficult to separate it like that
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / May 4, 2012 8:44 AM PDT

How would you do this back up?

You can't separate your own software installations from the OS system files as there is no way to identify all the files concerned, so your chosen method of backing up is going to be relevant here.

If you open Computer, (either from the Start menu or from the shortcut icon on your Desktop if you have one there), you will see how much space is taken up by Windows 7 on the C drive. Pre-installed games are unlikely to take up a lot of drive space and bookmarks certainly will not, they are just small files in the Kb range.

Some of the data may be your personal files and data, like documents, photos, music and videos, so you can back up those separately and count how much hard drive space they have taken, and then the rest is the OS and software. Will that fit on to the 32 GB memory stick, (flash drive)?

Even if it does, what then? How will you reinstall Windows from that?

An example, I recently took a whole image backup of my Win 7 system using the backup utility I got from the drive maker's web site, a version of Acronis TrueImage, and it is 25 GB or so. It is stored on another hard drive, but it would easily have fit onto a memory stick. However, I am not sure a memory stick is a suitable storage medium for reinstalling Windows 7 if I ever have to. It may work OK, but I am guessing that transfer speeds may be slower than from a spare hard drive.

Windows' own backup and restore functions are not considered the best.

Collapse -
Back Up
by P51MustangD / May 5, 2012 2:33 AM PDT

Thanks Much, I know it would be somewhat of a problem to break up which is which, I guess the best way in to have someone from the Geeks Squad,to "decrapify" it and get down, to just the OS and support files, I can stop windows games via stop windows functions on or off ,but to remove them is something else,This a lap top and with all this "garbage" on it does nothing for me ,and slows reboots, and just gives the PC another place to break. Again Thanks for the info.

Collapse -
Ahh, if you are talking slow boot up
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / May 5, 2012 3:26 AM PDT
In reply to: Back Up

then that is something that you can sort out.

How much hard drive spaced used won't cause slow Start up. What I mean is, you can have a nearly empty drive or a drive that is half full, and the startup times can be the same.

However, slow startup is likely caused by installed software and it will be software you yourself have installed which you have set to "Load on startup". That will significantly slow down bootup as all the software fights to be loaded when Windows loads.

To see what you have loading at startup, go to the Start button and type in MSCONFIG and click the first entry in the list. This will start the "System Configuration Utility". Head over to the Startup tab and look down the list at all the startup files there. You can disable those that you don't want, and Google will tell you what they are if you are not sure.

There are other things we can do as well, for example, make sure only one firewall is being used, only one anti-virus is being used.

As for unwanted applications, why not uninstall those that you are not ever going to use?

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?