General discussion

Windows 7 wont load, Cant Install Windows XP

My dad's PC suddenly yesterday morning wouldn't start his Windows 7.It would just get stuck on loading screen saying Windows is loading(or something like that,its in russian).We tried entering repair mode and restoring to last restore point and fixing errors but no good.The Windows won't even enter in Safe Mod.
So we soon realised that there is no choise but to reinstall windows(Probably Trojan messed up with his files or somethingg).
We tried to put in our Windows XP Home Edition CD(He didn't really like WIndows 7) in his PC to format driver C and install Windows XP.We turrned on PC, changed the BIOS setting so the CD drive will boot first,restarted, put in CD and pressed any key when it asked me to to boot from CD.
But then the installation gets stuck on "Setup is inspecting your computer's hardware configuration".It shows this for like 2 secs and screen goes black and nothing.
Any help would be appreciated.

Specs:
Intel Pentium D 2.8GHZ
2GB RAM
Nvidia 7300GT
WD IDE 80GB Harddrive(Not sure about model)
Also not sure about the Motherboard..

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Windows 7 wont load, Cant Install Windows XP
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Windows 7 wont load, Cant Install Windows XP
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Sounds proper.

XP should fail to install under many conditions. One of them is when 7 is on the hard drive. Look up DBAN and give it a quick wipe. Do not complain if any drive attached is wiped clean. That's what DBAN does.
Bob

- Collapse -
DBAN?

Ok I googled DBAN and found it would do the work.Me and my dad will try this someday.
But my main question about this program is:
If my drive is devided into 2:C and D, Will DABN delete the entire drive(Both C and D) or will let me choose which part to wipe(We need to wipe C, D has information my dad VERY needs.)

- Collapse -
Re: DBAN

DBAN deletes ALL.

So it seems that the thing your father VERY needs is a backup!

Kees

- Collapse -
BACKUP TIME.

I think we've found the cause of the XP failure to install. XP won't install on top of existing newer Windows. That's why we have to wipe the old system out.

As to your backup plans, you might want to consider the workaround. Remove the existing drive and put in a new drive. Install the OS and when done add the second drive or put it in some USB Enclosure so you can get to the files on the old drive.
Bob

- Collapse -
Thanks

Thanks for youe help, you are very kind and helpful. I will do the things you mentioned and hope for the best. The only problem I have dont have a spare drive...

- Collapse -
Then you have a plan.

CNET Forums

Forum Info