Computer Help forum

Question

Windows 7 won't boot

I have Windows 7 and for some reason it has completely stopped booting. Now when I turn on my computer I get a screen with two options: "Repair Computer" and "Start Windows normally". When I choose "Repair Computer", it takes me to a light blue screen and just stalls (I've left it on for all night and nothing happens), and when I choose the "Start windows normally" option I get stuck in a boot loop.

So these last couple of months I've been using a linux disk (Knoppix 7.2) to get around (It's pretty nice but I'd like to have windows 7 working)

Any idea on what could be wrong?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows 7 won't boot
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows 7 won't boot
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
If Knoppix 7

In reply to: Windows 7 won't boot

has the "inxi" command in it, then open it's terminal or console and run

inxi -v7

and post results, no need of the IP or MAC information however, you can keep that private. That will give information (motherboard RAM, etc) on your system that may help to find a solution for your problem.

Collapse -
Windows 7 won't boot

In reply to: If Knoppix 7

I tried the "inxi" command in terminal and got "command not found"

Collapse -
do this then

but I don't know if Knoppix has it in their repository.

You can check by putting this in terminal.

sudo aptitude show inxi

if it's there, then can install, but will only be there during the time your LIVE Knoppix DVD is active, since it's loaded to a RAM drive instead of hard drive. However it's size is only half a meg. Many don't realize you can install software to a LIVE session, which will work just find during that session in Linux.

sudo apt-get install inxi

You can try the following commands for information;

sudo hardinfo

lscpu

lspci

above should give information for the controller chips on the motherboard at least, if not the actual motherboard model. There should be some graphical program provided in Knoppix which can be used to get info on the system, such as System Monitor.

Collapse -
Windows 7 won't boot

In reply to: do this then

Hey, I was able to insert 'sudo hardinfo' in the terminal and a program called "System Information" came up. What information do you want me to provide you?

Thanks for being so helpful

Collapse -
PCI devices and summary

that at least gives the CPU and the onboard chips being used. You should also check to see if your W7 restore partition is still intact. These commands should give a clue.

sudo blkid

sudo parted -l

Collapse -
Answer
I took look using older knoppix 6.2

and on that I didn't see any program for determining make, model of motherboard. When you boot up, perhaps it's displayed on the splash screen. If this is a big computer maker like Dell, HP, then should be a tag saying what it is. Reason that needs to be known is because some have restore partitions in differing areas and you can be given more accurately aimed guidance.

I've used Knoppix in past for emergency use, but there are really better Linux systems out there today, and on LIVE DVD, if you have DVD drive instead of just a CDROM drive. If you can burn your own DVD, then I'd suggest some type of Mint, or Kubuntu, or Zorin.

Most popular versions are tracked at http://www.distrowatch.com

Least expensive DVD's for order of good quality and they contribute back to the developers is
http://www.osdisc.com

I personally use Linux Mint 17 MATE version, with Kubuntu as a backup. Kubuntu is a very visually pleasing system, very developed, just more than I need for what I do, so I prefer the simpler Mint MATE most of the time. If someone likes both, then Mint KDE is a good compromise between them. Unlike Knoppix which is more a rescue disc, both the Mints and the various Ubuntu's are devoted to full desktop usage, with more information gathering helps than I saw on my old Knoppix 6.2 disk, don't know in comparison to the newest Knoppix however. I do know Mint 13 which was out at same time as Knoppix 6.2 was a more robust operating system. Knoppix was a ground breaking system years ago when it began the first "LIVE" CD's, then came the more robust LIVE DVD's, but in the past few years it's lagged behind some of the more popular ones. On distrowatch it rates below 33+ other Linux versions now, while the Ubuntus, Mint (#1), and Zorin are all in the top 10 preferred systems.

As for your windows system, do you have restore DVD or CD's for it? When you bought the system did it suggest burning backup of the system? You may end up needing to do a full restore. If so, then in that case, you would need to first backup your personal data files using the Linux to another drive, or burn to DVD's depending on how much data you have, before doing a full restore on of the W7.

Collapse -
Windows 7 won't boot

In reply to: I took look using older knoppix 6.2

The only disc that I can find that came with my computer is a so-called Microsoft windows 7 home premium 64 bit "Recovery DVD".

I put that in my driver and turned on my computer not knowing what would happen. Unfortunately no good results to post. Maybe I didn't do something right with that disc, hit a wrong button or something, or maybe it's a problem with my HD, what do you think?

Collapse -
All over the map?

Collapse -
Unable to Respawn

In reply to: All over the map?

Hey thanks for the tip, but unfortnately I am unable to use Respawn in my current situation. Because to get to the "Respawn" option you need to click on "Repair your computer" option that comes up when you turn on your computer. Unfortunately when I choose that option no screen comes up that features the Respawn option, instead it just stalls.

As you can see in this video around the 2:18 mark, that box never pops up with all those solutions. It just stalls untill I'm forced to manually turn off my computer.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOGBMxtyet8&feature=youtu.be

Collapse -
Then the hdd content is unusable.

In reply to: Unable to Respawn

You may need to reload it according to the method Alienware writes up when you put in a new HDD.

There are other reasons for this to fail today. Rootkits are a rather nasty cause but most owners, with some assurance you won't make them feel bad will reveal if they used torrents or traveled down the darker alleys of the web. In that case I zero fill the drives and start fresh.
Bob

Collapse -
Unable to Respawn

In reply to: Then the hdd content is unusable.

I suspected all my problems stemmed from my HDD. My question is, if I just straight out replace my busted HDD with a new one. Would that fix the problem? Or do i need to still reinstall windows 7 somehow?

Thank you so much

Collapse -
A new HDD.

In reply to: Unable to Respawn

Comes without the OS. Did you make the restore media or a backup?
Dafydd.

Collapse -
I have a new HDD ready to install

In reply to: A new HDD.

I bought a new HDD two days ago (Seagate Barracuda 3TB SATA) and I'm ready to install.

My question is now, can I use the disc that came with my Alienware computer to install windows 7?

As I said earlier the name of the disc is titled "Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64 BIT"

Collapse -
It should work.

In reply to: I have a new HDD ready to install

64 bit shouldn't have any problem with a 3TB size drive.

Collapse -
Answer
see harddrive

when you boot to linux, does it see the harddrive? if so, does it show the full drive size? If you have access to any win7 disk - no matter the version - try the repair from it.

Collapse -
Windows 7 won't boot

In reply to: see harddrive

I just put in my windows 7 reboot CD that came with my Alienware computer. Unfortunately no good results to report.

I put it in, hit the enter key to prompt the installation like suggested, and just like it does when I choose the "repair computer" option without the CD in, just stalls.

I don't know, maybe I didn't do something right with the window 7 CD?

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.