Question

Windows 7 \Windows\System32\inetcpl.cpl

All of a sudden I am getting error messages while surfing the Internet about the \Windows\System32\inetcpl.cpl file.
I read discussions to do a chkdsk /r /f and a scandsk from the CMD as Admin in Safe Mode. I did a complete scan with MalwareBytes(it was clean), and even copied the inetcpl.cpl file from my laptop to the desktop and dropped it in the directory. I am still getting this error ! Also I cannot get my "Internet Options" to work from the Control Panel. This locked too. Any ideas.

Thanks,

Jay

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Windows 7 \Windows\System32\inetcpl.cpl
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Windows 7 \Windows\System32\inetcpl.cpl
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer

For those of you who may have wondered, I tried all the advice for CMD chkdsk /r /f., candsk and MatwareBtyes. The problem still existed. I remembered that last time that I got an "Update" from MS, and thought that that was the problem.... well it was MS automatically downloaded I.E (11) and that screwed up the Internet Options on the Control Panel, and the inetcpl.cpl in the Windows\System32 .... case closed for now ... don't download I.E. (11) if you have Windows 7, it is probably for Windows 8 which I will never get if I don't have to !!!

- Collapse -
Think about that.

A gazillion w7 users have loaded IE 11.

If this update did Bork the control panel the forums....here and elsewhere....would be on fire.

I suspect something else is amiss.

- Collapse -
Answer
Re: Windows 7 \Windows\System32\inetcpl.cpl

You can check for corrupted system files. Open an administrator command prompt and run SFC if the above doesn't help. Click START, then type CMD in the search box, right-click CMD.EXE and click Run as administrator. Then from the command prompt type sfc /scannow.
-
Good luck.

- Collapse -

Thanks folks, I don't care about I.E. 11 and I did the scannow, all I know is that I fixed and things are good.

CNET Forums

Forum Info