Question

Windows 7 Updated

Windows 7 downloaded an automatic update yesterday and now several of my programs will not run including Adobe document reader and Google Chrome. Help! I am now getting constant Rundll32.exe errors and I have no idea how to fix this situation.

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Windows 7 Updated
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Windows 7 Updated
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Clarification Request
Unusual

I also had a Windows Update yesterday and mine was fine. It was "Update for Windows 7 for x64 based systems, (KB24541014)". Was yours the same? You can check by going to Start > Control Panel, then open Windows Updates, then "View update history".

I checked that Knowledge Based at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2541014 and all I see is Hibernation does not work or memory dump file is not created after you install Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 Service Pack 1. So, it doesn't appear to be a 'system changing' update that would cause problems.

Tell us more.

1] Did you have any other issues with this computer? If so, what were they?

2] What happens when you try to open these programs, like Adobe PDF Reader and Google Chrome? Any error messages?

3] What is the exact Rundll32.exe error message?

A simple solution would be to do a System Restore back to just before this update was installed. Windows 7 always creates a Restore Point before installing updates, so there should be a restore point available, (Start > All programs > Accessories > System Tools > System Restore).

Mark

- Collapse -
Still not working....

Thank Mark for taking the time to review my issue. I reviewed the knowledge base for the update I referred to and the update directly previous to it and I agree it should not have produced the problem I am encountering. However, the timing is highly suspicious. In answer to your questions:
1) No other issues were present when this problem started
2) I get a error message box pop up in the center of my screen with the following :
"The application was unable to start correctly (0xc0000142). Click OK to close the application."
3) The content of the Rundll32.exe message is exactly the same. This message continues to pop up a frequent times on its own when I am doing various things, like typing this response. Nothing seems to be crashing, and I haven't requested anything to start, but obviously something is trying to start in the background. This message continues to pop up a frequent times on its own when I am doing various things, like typing this response. Nothing seems to be crashing, and I haven't requested anything to start, but obviously something is trying to start in the background.

I will try your advice as you have laid out and report on results. Thanks!

- Collapse -
Clarification Request
My experience on SP1

I also did a SP1 update and had to remove it. My problem was with the browsers I used, since you mentioned Chrome. Chrome was my main browser and it seemed to just sit there after launching. In fact all browsers used had the same result. However, upon removing SP1 update all is well again. I don't have any other fancy s/w to speak of and known issues with SP1 didn't reflect my problem. I mention this as returning to pre-SP1 corrected the issue. At the same time, other than "once" did the system seem to want to update SP1 again, but yet it hasn't since. Such a critical update you would think it would be required, nope as of noted been posted to do so. Very strange...

- Collapse -
Still not working.....

I did a system restore to a point prior to the updates and all seems to work again; Adobe, Palm Desktop and Chrome. I allowed the updates to be installed as before and everything still worked. Upon restart of system, I am back with the same problems again. Adobe, Chrome, Word and Palm Desktop are all not working again! i think I need to remore the SP1 update and have no idea how to do that or how to prevent it reinstalling automatically again and messing everything up. Any sugestions?

- Collapse -
Possible fix

I started another thread on SP1 and browsers, look here at the other postings.

- Collapse -
That could be good advice

and it is well worth a try.

Uninstall that update, (or system restore back to before it was installed), reboot the computer, (for good measure), test Adobe and Chrome, then disable the firewall and turn the Windows firewall on, then re-try the update. If it installs correctly without affecting Adobe PDF Reader and Chrome, re-enable your firewall. That should disable the Windows firewall but you can check that in the Control Panel.

Good luck. If it works, then kudos to Willy and you have found a workable solution.

Mark

- Collapse -
Formatted harddrive

Yes, i lost my cool - took it to a tech support person and we decided to format the drive. I have a full backup of documents and stuff to rebuild my system, so it's that that painful.

Thanks for all your help! From now on, NO AUTOMATIC UPDATES FROM WINDOWS!!

- Collapse -
Correction. Go read both of Willy's topic thread, again.

As you will notice, I had to fix him up.

- Collapse -
Answer
Try this
- Collapse -
Another fix

CNET Forums