General discussion

WINDOWS 7 SYSTEM VOLUME INFORMATION FOLDER

Can anyone tell me how to get to the System Volume Information Folder on Windows 7? And how do I gain access to it so I can open it. I understand it holds restore points.

I contacted Micrisoft Technical Support and they acted like they
didn't even know what I was talking about.

Your help is deeply appreciated!!!!!

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: WINDOWS 7 SYSTEM VOLUME INFORMATION FOLDER
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: WINDOWS 7 SYSTEM VOLUME INFORMATION FOLDER
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Maybe

Open W.E.

Double click 'C'
Organize>folder and search options>view

Tick> shown hidden files
Untick> hide protected operating system files

Apply
OK

I now see a folder called sys vol info.

- Collapse -

Thanks for the fast response. I don't have the laptop with me a just this minute.
The main reason I want access to it is sometimes you will pick-up a virus and it will go straight to that folder. I have gotten viruses on my XP Desktop and was able to remove them bu using CyberScrub and saving to have to reinstall the ioo system.

Thank you so much again.

- Collapse -
Let's share the cure for that.

Turn off system restore and turn it back on.

Any tinkering with SR's folders renders restore so likely to fail that we may as well do this the supported way.
Bob

- Collapse -

Sorry I took so long in replying to you. I appreciate it very much. That worked great. I wish I had you here with me to teach this old dog the new tricks on Win & Pro 32bit. I can tell you anything just about it on Win XP Pro and Media Center, but this Win 7 is a new bag of tricks.

Thanks'

Thomas

- Collapse -
cannot able to access folder system volume information

i got the folder called system volume information but still i m not able to open it. it says access is denied.. plz help..

- Collapse -
Locked. But read this link.
- Collapse -
Re: System Volume Information folder
- Collapse -
WINDOWS 7 SYSTEM VOLUME INFORMATION FOLDER \ icacls command

Thanks', I tried the icacls command but it did not work. I don't know if I did it right or not. See below.
Here is what it says. icacls C:\rw_apps\ /grant administrators:F
I did that and then I thought maybe that F could have stood for the drive letter C so I changed that and still no good. I typed in just C:\rw_apps\ /grant administrators:F and still no go. I changed the administrators to my name Thomas:F no good. So the bottom line is I can not get that command to run.

Thanks'

Thomas

- Collapse -
Re: icacls

Maybe:
- you don't have a folder called "\rw_apps"
- you don't have a user called "administrators"
- you don't have a Windows user called "Thomas"

If it still doesn't work with the correct folder name (for example "\system volume information" including the quotes!) and your own user name (that has administrative capabilities), you can have a look inside that folder after booting from a Linux Live disk.

Kees

- Collapse -

I do not have a folder called "\rw_apps"
I don't have a user called "administrators"
I do have have a Windows user called "Thomas"

- Collapse -
So all you need to do:

use the right folder name in the command to get icacls working.

Try
icacls "C:\system volume information" /grant Thomas:F

Kees

- Collapse -

I do not know what it did but it liked flasked something and now it works fine like a well oiled machine.

Now I got to find some help with an ASUS MOBO.

Your help was greatly appreciated,

Thomas

CNET Forums

Forum Info