General discussion

Windows 7, System Halt (Blue Screen), NEED HELP!!!!!

So I have a laptop it's a HP Pavalion 2200, and I upgraded it with windows 7 from Vista.
Anyways I was playing a game on it and it started to freeze up and eventually gave me a "Blue Screen of Death" stating some jiberish (i didn't write down the codes *cry*) saying "System Halted".
I then atempt to reboot the laptop hoping it was just a hickup but on start up I get a black screen and cant see nothing, not even my initial starting format, or login page...
I've been diging in forums to find someone with the same problem but from what I read people are requiested a BIOS password, which means they can see something on their screen but yet... I see black...
If anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Windows 7, System Halt (Blue Screen), NEED HELP!!!!!
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Windows 7, System Halt (Blue Screen), NEED HELP!!!!!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Most likely a hardware issue.

See if you can boot from a bootable CD/DVD (such as your Windows 7 DVD). If not, that proves it.

Kees

- Collapse -
The clue here is that game lockup.

Such things can corrupt the hard drive. But there is a common little thing that halts some machines. Try this:

Unplug all USB things (I mean all) and see if the screen comes back.

If so, reboot again with just your keyboard and mouse then consider looking at curbing heat in that machine. Heat is not an uncommon reason for a machine to crash and games test the machine's capability to get the heat out.

Here's a link on cleaning:
http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-11319_7-6240575-1.html
Bob

- Collapse -
Reply to posts

Hey Thanks for the advice.

To R.Proffit, I have tried rebooting with no USB hardware attached to the computer and I still get the same results.

And to Kees_B I don't have the bootable CD/DVD Sad

Another point I probably should of added is that the system boots up normally, at least from what i can hear from system start up noises, and my skype automatically logs in like normal. I just cant see my screen...

A friend suggest that it might be a problem with the video card, he says that since the computer was originally a "Vista" computer the video card may of not of been 100% compatible with Windows 7, if I can get a second suggestion I may have to consider to just buy another video card...

- Collapse -
Let's say this is the Pavilion 2200 Desktop.

Since the screen never shows, no BIOS or HP splash, it could be a failed video card or the video cable came unplugged.

Also this appears to have an onboard video so try the other vga port.
Bob

- Collapse -
Is this the equivalent of the Laptop/Notebook's

Specifications?
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00840731&tmp_task=prodinfoCategory&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=ca&os=2093&product=3353230&sw_lang=

If yes, you ran out of both the main processor's use of RAM and the video/graphics' onboard chipset.

Go get yourself a set of 2 2Gb DDR2 SoDiMM RAM cards. and get them installed by the person at the service desk of the PC department.

You will need to update your drivers for both the v/g and sound's onboard chipset.

Hope that helps clearing the fog of uncertainty and then, permanently fix this blackout problem.
Wink

CNET Forums

Forum Info