Windows 7 forum

General discussion

Windows 7 student edition

by mdmcalhoun / December 1, 2009 12:52 AM PST

I bought Windows 7 home edition at the student price. My parents want me to put Windows 7 on the home computer also. I was wondering how many users I can use the key for. If i can only use the key for one user, do you think I can purchase another key from Microsoft at a discounted price?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows 7 student edition
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows 7 student edition
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Only one
by Jimmy Greystone / December 1, 2009 1:33 AM PST

Only one, and if you installed it on your parent's system as well you would be violating the license agreement in two ways.

1: They most likely do not qualify for the reduced price student edition
2: You bought a SINGLE license, which means you can install and use it on a SINGLE system at any given time

If you wanted to install it ONLY on the system at your parent's place, that would be fine so long as you were there and using the system, but when you went back to school your parents would not be licensed to use that copy of Windows.

They're going to have to shell out the $200 for a copy of their own or make due with what they have. That's just how it is. If you install it on both systems, you'll likely find one won't activate, and Microsoft could revoke your license at their discretion.

So long story short: Don't do it.

Collapse -
Windows 7
by jeff_windows_team / December 1, 2009 2:29 AM PST

Jimmy has answered the question regarding multiple installs correctly. If your parents wish to install Windows 7 on their home PC and they are currently running Windows Vista or XP, they can purchase a Windows 7 Home Premium upgrade license for around $120.

Let us know if you have any more questions.

Collapse -
Similar issue
by nikola99 / December 2, 2009 9:51 AM PST
In reply to: Windows 7

Jeff,

I've built a new PC and from the beginning had Win 7 RC on it waiting for the final version. Then I bought the Student Discount version. As the download is going I've noticed that it's an upgrade only.

I've seen some posts saying I can upgrade from Win 7 RC with a clean install, which is fine. My question is: will I be able to do this in the future if I need to reinstall by installing the RC first and then Final?

I really hope I didn't just flush $30 down the drain...

Collapse -
Upgrade versions....here's what I've found
by Steven Haninger / December 2, 2009 6:42 PM PST
In reply to: Similar issue

In doing an upgrade from XP Pro to Win 7 Pro and even thought it was a clean installation, I could not use the old method of just having the XP CD as a qualifier. I had to attach a drive with an installed and activated copy of XP. This tells me that, if in the future I want or need to do another clean installation, I need to either keep this old hard drive in a safe place (and hope it still works) or re-install XP first. I'm not sure, however, if I'd be able to activate it again at a later date. So, the upgrade versions do come with risks and complications and make a good case for doing full hard drive images for backup purposes.

Now, I really don't know about the RC version and could not understand why MS would give it away free and then allow it as a qualifier for a reduced price upgrade. I paid for my XP Pro retail so it makes sense that MS would discount the upgrade but I don't see how a free RC would do the same unless you installed it as an XP Pro upgrade. In any event, you'd be in the same boat as I am with an upgrade version. You'd need to keep your qualifying installation of a previous version intact and available....my thoughts anyway but will be interested in hearing something official.

Collapse -
Won't work
by TaraS_WinTeam / December 4, 2009 6:15 AM PST
In reply to: Similar issue

Sorry, but you cannot upgrade from the RC. If you were running Vista or XP before moving to RC you will need to backup your files, reinstall your previous OS and then perform the upgrade. If you weren't running a previous OS you will need to purchase the full version.

Cheers,
Tara

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?