Windows 7 forum

Question

Windows 7 slower than mud

by nicklaus / October 22, 2014 3:42 AM PDT

I have a Win 7 Home Premium 64 bit OS. It is installed on Samsung 840 EVO 120g SSD. 8g memory installed. CPU is AMD A8-5600K MB A55BM-Plus.

The computer ran find for several months. The other day I plugged my cell phone into the computer to take some pictures off of the phone. I have a Samsung Galaxy S4.

When I plugged the phone in, the computer it wanted to search for a driver. It didn't find one and immediately after that, the computer started to run slow. I'm talking so slow that it took several hours to boot.

So, I decided to do a fresh install, formatting the SSD, etc.

At this point, the install is finished. Restarting Windows is still extremely slow. This computer has 2 HD's on board. Is it possible that when the phone was searching for a driver, that some sort of virus was embedded on one of the drives? Or perhaps the SSD was corrupted to the point where even a fresh install wouldn't fix it?

I didn't format the drive and perhaps that is an option.
And who, it their right mind decided to make the key code on the label for Win 7 so small that I had to use a magnifying glass to see it?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows 7 slower than mud
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows 7 slower than mud
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
That fresh install.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 22, 2014 5:30 AM PDT

Microsoft's drivers are only the beginning so let's here more of the work you do after the OS install.
Bob

Collapse -
no where
by nicklaus / October 22, 2014 10:39 AM PDT
In reply to: That fresh install.

Actually, I am going to go and reformat the SSD and start all over again. I did the OS install and it didn't seem to fix anything. If I put the install DVD in the drive, it takes several minutes for each step of the way. Right now, I have the screen that asks where I want to install Windows, and Since I have several disks/partitions, I chose the SSD, and the screen is showing the circular icon ( hourglass) and its been circling for 15 minutes. I'm guessing that before I retire tonight, the computer will let me take the next step. In all my years of computers, dating back to 1984 (TI 444A), I've never seen anything like this. But, patience will step up and I'll get R Dun.

Collapse -
That's the beginning of a Windows install.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 22, 2014 11:42 AM PDT
In reply to: no where

It may run, but poorly. Not much has changed stick 1995. We have to install the OS, then drivers and now something called helper apps. Microsoft has the OS part on that DVD, but what about the rest?
bob

Collapse -
I'd try a different approach.
by Zouch / October 24, 2014 1:59 PM PDT
In reply to: no where

This clearly isn't right. And I doubt patience alone will get the job done.

I think what I'd be inclined to do at this stage is unplug all the drives you have in at the moment, including the SSD, plug in one blank repartitioned and reformatted conventional hard disk, doesn't have to be a big one, and try the install again.

If that installs cleanly and the machine is running properly, then you have a disk problem. If it isn't, then the problem is deeper in the system. If it's the system, you could try removing the CMOS backup battery, if you can get at it, for half an hour or so and then plugging it back in. That might reset the CMOS, though how it would have got corrupted is anybody's guess.

If it's apparently running OK, you could try plugging in your two HDDs, one at a time and rechecking. If that comes up clean, it's the SSD, or else you will have found the culprit.

Collapse -
I would do the above
by James Denison / October 25, 2014 12:54 AM PDT

Zouch suggested and add removing all RAM but one stick and then booting from DVD drive to a Linux "LIVE DVD" distro, like Mint, Ubuntu, Zorin, Solyd-, Kubuntu, etc. If that goes well, add stick of RAM, boot again to test, till all RAM is cleared, also run the memtest program included on most Linux bootable LIVE DVD's today. Next step is attach power and data cable to a drive and boot to DVD and if that goes well, see if you can access the drive with the Linux file manager. If so, see if movement around the drive goes fast enough. If so, then attach the next drive and do the same.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
If you haven't gone to far what about this
by wippernm / October 24, 2014 2:55 PM PDT

I would do this before reformatting or even upgrading your computer to a newer operating system. I would also load these after any extreme measures as a protection.

Reformatting will help a lot. Make sure that you still can install all the drivers needed to get the machine working. If you have the original disk for the motherboard, the factory or Microsoft original disk, the CD Product Key.

If you have used the disk several times on different machines, sometimes Microsoft will refuse to allow additional installations. This can be overcome by CALLING the Microsoft Activation Phone Line and explain the issue. Most of the time they will allow the installation.

Is there a reason, other than money, what you don't upgrade to a newer operating system. I build custom machines for various purposes and have had no problems with window 8.1 pro. Some of the new drives have problems with the older drivers and the machine timing.

I have a source where you can purchase a legal retail version of the newer program for a great price. ValidKeyService@gmail.com is a legitimate company that has been recommended by sites like Tom's Hardware and PC Magazine. I have used them for many years for various programs and have never had a problem that they failed to resolve and never had a problem with activation and continued use after activation.

I personally have had NO MAJOR ISSUES with Windows 8.1 Pro. I have learned many easy ways to use the charms and bounce between Metro and Desktop mode even though I use the Desktop Mode the most which is very close to your version.

The newer Operating system works with the SSD drives well. Also remember not to use defrag programs with the SSD drives. This causes the life span of the drive to be decreased. The method of writing data to these drives almost eliminates the need for drive maintenance..

Now back to you current program. First, are you using and keeping a GOOD antivirus program. Many of the top free programs will do very good. I personally find that I like Webroot Secure Anywhere better and you can buy this on EBay for 20.00 dollars for up to 5 pcs. This is a very high rated antivirus program that once you setup, it updates and only needs your help when it needs to be renewed. I also buy the next years edition from Ebay rather than paying the higher price at their site. Sorry Webroot.

Next, are you using any malware programs. I recommend many free programs that help with this and maintenance issues. I like Wise Registry Clean (free), Malwarebytes (free) and CCleaner (free). When you run these programs. Run them several times and pay attention to any boxes that are not checked for their basic operations. If you run them several times, they will clean up your system well. Wise will run automatically and will regularly notify you of newer versions. Malwarebytes free version must be updated manually. It will remind you that your definition is out of date. It is fast and once again they will notify you of newer versions.

Think about what I have to offer. I just built a gaming machine for my 15 year old grandson and used Windows 8.1 Pro and have found only a few older programs that ran on Windows XP that won't run due to incompatibility with Java 11.1.

Good luck. Most of the recommendations that I read will work. Many do not like Windows 8.1 but the Pro version has been working well for me. I started using and building computers since Windows 3.1. Liked Windows 98SE but hated several versions after that. Windows 8 was bad, 8.1 is much better. !0 is coming out but with MS history for new OS, I would not want to upgrade to that until it has some time under it. I have read the reviews on the beta and they have fixed a lot but what have they missed.

Good Luck

Collapse -
Answer
Maybe a hardware problem
by fourbypete / October 24, 2014 8:02 PM PDT

As In my subject line you may have a hardware problem. I have seen Ram go bad after hardware installs. I have seen cpu's unseat themselves, and I've seen Graphics cards go from rock to brick in an instant!. If you have a spare machine with internet access, I would try downloading some diagnostic software that will run from a boot cd or memory stick so you can check your hardware first.

Check that you don't have faulty hardware first them reformat. I've always had problems with AMD powered machines and intel celerons.

Hope you find what the problem is and doesn't cost too much to repair.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?