Samsung forum

General discussion

Windows 7 showing TV supporting incorrect refresh rate.

by Axodious / July 15, 2011 12:22 AM PDT

I have recently upgraded from a UN40A750 to a UN46D6500VFXZA, the TV is hooked up to a computer running Windows 7. Windows 7 is detecting (I'm guessing through the EDID) that the TV supports 50hz which it does not.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows 7 showing TV supporting incorrect refresh rate.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows 7 showing TV supporting incorrect refresh rate.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Just a guess
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 15, 2011 8:46 AM PDT

Did you name the input "PC" and try all the other names?

Collapse -
Looks like there is some PC MODE
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 15, 2011 8:57 AM PDT
In reply to: Just a guess

"Available in PC mode only." and not available if the cable is DVI to HDMI (see the manual?)

Collapse -
Tried all inputs.
by Axodious / July 15, 2011 3:29 PM PDT

I've tried all inputs and I'm using straight HDMI, no DVI. I've also tried and HDMI to DVI cable.

Collapse -
Didn't write about all inputs.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 16, 2011 2:09 AM PDT
In reply to: Tried all inputs.

Sorry but I have failed to convey this well.

Call 1800SAMSUNG and have them walk you through the naming of the inputs.

Good luck!
Bob

Collapse -
Found what you mean.
by Axodious / July 16, 2011 4:32 AM PDT

I found what you mean however I can't get it to activate PC mode, setting the input to PC doesn't activate any of the extra settings on the TV and I still have the refresh rate problem. I also don't think this will fix the issue even if I can get it to go to PC mode.

Collapse -
Sorry but
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 16, 2011 4:53 AM PDT
In reply to: Found what you mean.

I failed on this. While the manual should write how, call 1800SAMSUNG and have them walk you through it.

Collapse -
Issues continued
by Nitra11 / July 16, 2011 11:17 PM PDT
In reply to: Sorry but

This isn't an issue with renaming the inputs, there's a firmware issue on the TV, or at least there seems to be.

We have tried ATi and NVidia cards connected to it, both show the exact same issue, so it's not a video driver issue.

http://img824.imageshack.us/img824/9864/refreshrates.png

Above illustrates the issue, we've tried 2 brand new clean windows installs, the issue appears right away after driver detection.

I did call Samsung yesterday, after 45 minutes of speaking to someone and having them tell me "the TV is too new, there's no new firmware" etc, when that's clearly not true, since owning this new TV, there's been 3 firmware updates. She eventually passed me on to level 2, I went through the issue with him for another 30 minutes, still no resolution to the issue, however he escalated the issue to the engineers.

We have another slightly older Samsung, a unXX750, we never had this issue, Windows always correctly saw the refresh rates, and there was never a display issue.

I was considering plugging back in the older set to the computer, capturing the EDID from it, and forcing it to the newer set, I was however not sure if this would effect 3D/Arc, so I've not ventured down this route yet.

I contacted Microsoft, they said it's an issue, and contact Samsung. The TV should be defining that only a set of valid refresh rates are in fact valid, this set is saying every possible refresh rate is valid, however if you attempt to output @ 25Hz or 50Hz the Unsupported Mode pops.

This wouldn't be an issue, my media players are smart enough to output what the device supports, I have several PAL recorded sets of media, normally with 50/25 being listed as invalid, the player is smart enough to scale the content as needed and output without any degradation. With the TV stating that 25/50 are valid, I have no choice but to lock the display @60Hz, and not allowing the content to play properly, this is causing a ton of judder/skipping/lag, making all of the content unwatchable.

Removing the AMP from the chain makes no difference either, same issue, we have investigated every possible solution and cause, we keep coming back to a TV issue.

Collapse -
Since none of this worked. Add one more thing.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 17, 2011 1:14 AM PDT
In reply to: Issues continued

Add the TRANSACTION NUMBERS from your calls to Samsung so the Ambassador has all the details when he gets back on the forums.

Bob

Collapse -
:(
by Nitra11 / July 17, 2011 2:18 AM PDT

Didn't get one, they just went by my phone number.

Collapse -
Next time ask for one.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 17, 2011 2:53 AM PDT
In reply to: :(

If you follow this forum, it's how it gets escalated.

Collapse -
Typo in model number.
by Axodious / July 18, 2011 3:00 AM PDT
In reply to: Next time ask for one.

Just wanted to point out that the TV is a UN46D6500VFXZC, not a UN46D6500VFXZA.

Collapse -
May not matter.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 18, 2011 4:36 AM PDT
In reply to: Typo in model number.

At this point get the Transaction numbers in your discussion so the Ambassador can kick it up if need be.

Let Samsung do their support.
Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!