Question

windows 7 service pk

ive tried everything to dowload windows 7 service pk 1 but my computer will not let me do so always comes up with an error. so so course it does not finish,

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: windows 7 service pk
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: windows 7 service pk
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Clarification Request
What does error state?

What is the error? That explains why it can't or doesn't proceed forth. It's the biggest clue for you. As Kees offered the links to directly get the required file for your Win7 type 32 or 64-bit. If you need to, use another PC(friend?) and d/l the file and save to a flash drive/CD, swap over to your PC in some directory and try from there. Check the error online for what it means or goto MS support for common errors.

tada -----Willy Happy

- Collapse -
Answer
Re: download

1. Go to http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=5842
2. Download the file you need to your hard disk. Choose from
- windows6.1-KB976932-X86.exe - This application installs Sp1 to a 32-bit machine running Windows 7.
- windows6.1-KB976932-X64.exe - This application installs Sp1 to a 64-bit machine running Windows 7008 R2.
Note: it's 500 or 900 MB file.
3. Boot into Safe Mode and run the exe-file you donwloaded in step 2.

What happens? If an error, please tell all details in stead of "an error" and "does not finish".

Kees

- Collapse -
error

the error says :
the refeerenced assembly could not be found

ERROR_s X s ASSEMBLY_ missing (0 x 80073701)

- Collapse -
Seems a known problem.
- Collapse -
been there done that

As I said before i have tried everything. Also would like to know what assembly is missing

- Collapse -
What assembly is missing.

That's a good question, although I doubt if the answer would be useful for you.

I once had a colleague, a junior programmer, who wrote a program where 20 things could go wrong. And for all 20 possible errors his program stopped with the message STOP: SOMETHING IS WRONG (it is so long ago that computers only spoke in capitals).
It seems that such programmers still exist, even with Microsoft.

Kees

- Collapse -
Disable your AV pgm.

For the time being, as the AV pgm. can cause issues as noted by Kees link, disable it. Depending on the AV itself, you can also turn it "OFF" instead of disabling, as you need to reboot anyways plus the time factor may need longer than a simple disabling. Also, part of the SP1 install it will generate a "restore point" provided it gets into the actual install. Further, if this is caused by something else, I suggest you disconnect all USB devices except for mouse and kybd. and I hope the SP1 you d/l'ed was a good one. All this takes time once install starts, so enjoy coffee or soda.

tada -----Willy Happy

CNET Forums