Windows 7 forum

General discussion

Windows 7 Service Pack 1 Is Available For MSDN/Technet.

Just a note about Service Pack 1 for Windows 7 for which the date was previously posted in the forums. I'm currently in the process of downloading the MSDN/TechNet subscriber version of Windows 7 Service Pack 1. At this point in time, the Windows 7 downloads show the service pack to be available as "Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 Service Pack 1 (x86 and x64) - DVD (Multilanguage)". The file downloads as an .ISO file of approximately 1.9 GB and I burned the image to a DVD.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/aa570309.aspx

Later releases will surely be available in smaller sizes as just X86 or X64, or by downloading from Windows Updates, but at this time, the above file is what I see at MSDN.

In addition, for those that qualify to use the MSDN site, full "Windows 7 WITH Service Pack 1" are also available.

As to "installing" the new Service Pack, I think I'll hold tight a while to see if any specific issues come up in the next few days.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows 7 Service Pack 1 Is Available For MSDN/Technet.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows 7 Service Pack 1 Is Available For MSDN/Technet.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I Found a Test Machine Here..

In reply to: Windows 7 Service Pack 1 Is Available For MSDN/Technet.

I lied.. I found a test machine to install the new Service Pack on..

Windows 7 Pro 32 bit - HP 8000 Elite Convertible Minitower - Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 3.0 Ghz, 4 GB RAM.

I used the DVD burned using the link I provided earlier and after cleaning out all the Temp files, I simply ran the Service Pack installer.. It took approximately 35 - 40 minutes to run with default settings which allowed the computer to restart itself automatically..

Just an observance... The progress bar during the installation doesn't move very fast, seems to freeze for quite a while at around 50%, but waiting allowed everything to finish exactly as one would expect.. After the progress bar finishes, you'll see the standard "Configuring Windows 7" blue window, then the computer restarts, then you'll see the same "Configuring..." window again.. After login, a popup tells you "Windows 7 Service Pack 1 is now installed".. And a quick check of the computer "Properties" (RIGHT click on "Computer" on desktop, choose "Properties"), shows "Service Pack 1" in the "Windows Edition" section at the top.

So far, no apparent differences after the SP install.. This machine was already updated and current anyway.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Just to confirm what you said.

In reply to: I Found a Test Machine Here..

Hi Grif, interesting reading as that 'long wait' could cause some to try and abandon the update prematurely.

Can you confirm what you said, this test machine was fully updated anyway prior to installing the SP? So, even machines fully updated can expect a similar experience when adding the SP?

Thanks.

Mark

Collapse -
That's Correct.. The Computer Was Fully Updated Previously

In reply to: Just to confirm what you said.

The test computer is a basic, stock machine, with Office 2007, and not much else installed.. It was fully updated, in February, at the Windows Updates site and also had the most recent versions of Java, Adobe Reader, and a few other common programs.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Microsoft Releases KB Article About Compatibility Issues

Collapse -
Yep, also saw it

In reply to: Microsoft Releases KB Article About Compatibility Issues

in Carol's post in S&V.

The list is small at the moment, thankfully, and let's hope it stays that way.

Mark

Collapse -
Took The Next Step...Installed on Two "In-Service" Comps

The computers are basically identical to the test machine but are working PC's in the office. One is my personal office computer and on a domain while another is being used on a standard business LAN much like a home network..

The installations proceeded just like the first test machine and there were no hiccups during the install. We'll see how normal operations affect the new service pack.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
How to get SP 1 7 Ultimate 64bit?

Hey everybody. Will Windows Update automatically offer, download, and install SP 1 on my computer?

Collapse -
Yep.

In reply to: How to get SP 1 7 Ultimate 64bit?

If your Windows Update is turned on then it will be offered in due course.

My own WU settings offer the download, but allows me to decide when to install them.

Mark

Collapse -
Updating

In reply to: Yep.

Now that I don't have to worry about resource consumption, I always leave the auto-update feature on. I read on Softpedia not to expect anything earth-shattering. No new features, just bug fixes and that sort of thing. Good enough for me, as this will be the first service pack since sp3 XP! Hope all goes well for everyone.

Collapse -
Windows 7 Service Pack 1 Download For Everyone

Collapse -
Steps To Take Before Installing Service Pack 1

In reply to: Windows 7 Service Pack 1 Download For Everyone

Collapse -
Thank you, Grif....

In reply to: Steps To Take Before Installing Service Pack 1

.....for the information. Service Pack 1 is pending in Windows Update. I have backups on two external drives so I am prepared, but always wait a day or two after a release to install.

Miki

Collapse -
Updated last night

In reply to: Thank you, Grif....

Toshiba net book; windows 7 starter. Update took a long time, but installed without error. Three windows updates and one updated Canon printer driver. All is well as far as I can tell.

Collapse -
So Far, No Problems With 8 Installations

In reply to: Thank you, Grif....

All of the computers are almost identical to each other so after the first installed fine, I didn't expect a problem with the rest... But still, it's going smooth here.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Windows 7 / 2008 R2 Service Pack 1 Problems..

Collapse -
Saw the post to which you refer....

In reply to: Windows 7 / 2008 R2 Service Pack 1 Problems..

....and now I am not as eager to install SP1 as I was last night Sad

Miki

Collapse -
(NT) Yay.....Service Pack 1 is installed.

In reply to: Saw the post to which you refer....

Collapse -
Nice work

In reply to: Yay.....Service Pack 1 is installed.

That's good Miki.

Collapse -
Two Questions, Grif

In reply to: Windows 7 / 2008 R2 Service Pack 1 Problems..

Not all my drivers are Windows drivers -- do you have a comparable situation on your test machines?

Aside from the wisdom of having a copy of SP1, it appears that it is not necessary to burn to a DVD when downloading from Windows Update...is this correct?

Miki

Collapse -
Yep, Windows Update Should Work Fine

In reply to: Two Questions, Grif

In my case, because I'm updating multiple computers, the DVD version works better.. In addition, because there are so many possible hiccups which can occur while on the internet, I generally prefer to install service packs from a disc.. To each his/her own..

And yes, the same here.. Although it's not clear what you mean by "Windows drivers" (since the computers are "Windows 7" computers, all the drivers are for the "Windows" operating system), not all of the drivers are from Microsoft.. Most of mine are supplied by the manufacturer of the computer or the hardware device itself. In my case, although all the computers I've updated are similar, I purposely fiddled with the various drivers to see if such would affect the outcome.. My office computer has all the most recent drivers for the hardware installed while the first computer I updated contained only the drivers which came with the computer originally.. It didn't affect the installation at all.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
My thanks, Grif

In reply to: Yep, Windows Update Should Work Fine

By "Windows drivers", I meant, as you surmised, not all of the drivers were from Microsoft. Your test results are appreciated by, I am sure, many folks, including me.

Miki

Collapse -
Thank you for sharing it

Hi, Grif thank you for sharing it with us. I was searching an iso image of windows7 for a log time. Now i got it on msdn website. Thankx for link.
Ariful

Collapse -
Right spec of windows 7?

What is the right specs of windows 7? its is advisable that i have to upgrade my memory to 2g DDR2? anyone came give me an advice the right specs...

Collapse -
Not the proper discussion

In reply to: Right spec of windows 7?

Please post your own discussion and describe your problem precisely. It doesn't seem to apply here as this is about Windows 7 SP1 update.

I have deleted your other, unfinished post.

Mark

Collapse -
Just updated 2 Windows 7 systems, no problem.

Packard Bell laptop, dual core, 4GB Ram, W7 Home Premium, and Alienware Desktop, quad core, 12 GB RAM, W7 Ultimate.

Both downloaded and installed SP1 with no problem. The whole process, from downloading to installing with a restart to complete the install, took around 30 minutes for each.

Mark

Collapse -
Updated also SP1

In reply to: Just updated 2 Windows 7 systems, no problem.

HP Desktop, windows 7 by 64, i7 8 gig Ram.

No problem here. As far as I can tell every thing is working fine.

Nanah

Collapse -
About SQl Server R2

I was just reading some posting here about Windows 7 SP 1 and the 2008 R2. I downladed and install just the Windows SP 1 64 bit. It is working great. My question is do I need to install the SQL Server R2 also. My OS is Windows 7 64 bit SP1, Home Premium. I don't do servver builds or anything like that.

Collapse -
Re:

In reply to: About SQl Server R2

It came to me as a Windows update along with an 2007 Office update.

Collapse -
You do not need the service pack on Windows 7-

In reply to: Re:

I have not installed the service pack on any of my Windows 7 computers. As I have a Netbook and I have read it takes up a lot of ram. And also as Windows 7 is a very new operating system,I do not think Windows 7 users need it. Andrea Borman

Collapse -
Ouch!

In reply to: You do not need the service pack on Windows 7-

More bad advice!

Mark

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.