Windows 7 forum

General discussion

Windows 7 Repair Disk Won't Load Completely

by bilyo / December 29, 2009 7:22 AM PST

We just acquired a new laptop with Win7 HP preloaded. One of the first things I did was try to make a System Repair CD (Start/All Programs/Maintenance/Create a System Repair Disc). The CD burning process seemed to go normally. When I tried to run the disc, it seemed to load normally until it got to a screen with the "streaks in the sky" wallpaper and then it stopped. There were no menus, messages, or anything except the wallpaper. I made two discs using a name brand with the same result. I know disc quality used to be an issue but I didn't think this was so these days among the name brands. Has anyone else had this happen and/or does anyone know a solution?
Thanks,
Bill

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows 7 Repair Disk Won't Load Completely
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows 7 Repair Disk Won't Load Completely
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Not sure, but
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / December 29, 2009 8:30 PM PST

I believe Windows 7 disks need to be DVD.

I will let others offer their own suggestions as I may be wrong, but as Windows 7 arrives on a DVD it seems to me it needs the extra capacity for recovery disks.

Mark

Collapse -
by bilyo / December 30, 2009 12:41 AM PST
In reply to: Not sure, but

It will read/write both CDs and DVDs as most optical drives do these days. The guidance you get as you go through the Create a Repair Disk process calls for a CD. The program should take up only about half the disk.
Thanks,
Bill

Collapse -
Looks like we are back to the same old thing.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 30, 2009 1:22 AM PST

Pre-installed, pre-loaded OSes (Windows for example) without full retail media mean our repair choices are reduced to what the makers of the PC give us.

ASK THEM WHAT TO DO NEXT.

After 2 decades of dealing with this I'm torn between wanting full versions or a real solution like we see in the Apple MacOSX where you can reinstall the OS without destroying our files.

There was hope for such in 7 but MSFT did not deliver.

Have your restore media handy and about 3 backups of what you can't lose then make the call.
Bob

Collapse -
by bilyo / December 30, 2009 5:00 AM PST

This doesn't solve the problem directly but I found a work-a-round at: http://maximumpcguides.com/windows-7/burn-an-iso-image/
This site provides an iso image of the repair disc that can be downloaded and burned to disc. I did it and it works. So, I'm not even going to worry further about Win7s inability to do it right.
Thanks for the comments.
Bill

Collapse -
Making ISO to CD/DVD
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 30, 2009 6:38 AM PST

I've skipped Windows or MSFT's solution for years. I use CDBURNERXP and IMGBURN.

Collapse -
I had same problem Win7 Repair Disk Not Loading Completely
by jasledd / January 10, 2010 10:55 PM PST

I had the exact same problem, I wonder how many others have had it? Am curious as to what the exact problem really is, but not enough to hunt it down. (Curious too about who to blame. Happy A work around is fine for me. Thanks

I am glad I tested my repair disk before I went any further though. Not being able to boot with a repair disk would not be good if my system got corrupted.

Collapse -
Other recovery options
by TaraS_WinTeam / January 12, 2010 5:36 AM PST
Collapse -
RE Windows 7 repair disk wont load completely
by icanswim70 / May 2, 2012 9:52 PM PDT

hey bilyo

it sounds like your frustrated... did you make the repair disk yourself? if you did, sadly it can take hours to load the menus. i dont no why this happens, it jus does. be patient and give it time to load. even when the computer isnt making noise it is still loading files and such. ive had a similar problem and i am yet to fix it. on a dell latop that should be running windows 7, failed to boot, the cd gets stuck at the black screen with mouse but no background or anything. in the past its loaded but now it seemed to stop. and when you go to boot to cd, after clicking cd it will take you to the screen with "Windows Setup (Enabled)" press tab to run windows memory manager. but as far as the actual boot goes, jus be patient if it is a burned copy.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!