Windows 7 forum

General discussion

Windows 7 questionable performance on my Mac?

Don't worry, this is not another Mac vs PC argument. Rather, I had some concerns.

I've successfully installed Windows 7, via BootCamp 3.0, on my 2007 Macbook Pro Santa Rosa. It was a breeze as I have Snow Leopard and used the latest 3.0 BootCamp drivers. But many users have reported increased heat and decreased battery life. This is true for myself as well.

Now, when I load RMClock, WITHOUT any modifications, and look at the monitor, it shows CPU load at approximately 60%, even when my task manager shows 0%. This could be an error on the program's part, or something else.

I kinda wonder if the heat issues have something to do with the mismanagement of the Mac's power features in Windows 7, if that's even an issue. It's the only explanation I can come up with for the increased heat, decreased battery life, and the RMClock 60% CPU load.

Now, knowing this, it would be great if someone could review a similarly configured PC with Windows 7 installed and see how it fares against a BootCamp Mac with Windows 7. The results could tell me if the above issue has an adverse effect on performance. Is someone willing to do this? Perhaps CNET's next review?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows 7 questionable performance on my Mac?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows 7 questionable performance on my Mac?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Give it some time.

In reply to: Windows 7 questionable performance on my Mac?

I noticed this on the fresh install and after 7 had a few weeks to do all its indexing and such it got better. What I notice is that many do these observations on the fresh install.

Too bad MSFT didn't foresee this and have some off switch marked "I'm going to test the OS for this issue so stop indexing and such."
Bob

Collapse -
Still would like a head to head

In reply to: Give it some time.

I see. So it's an indexing issue Sad . Still, I would like to see a REAL Comparison between a Macbook Pro Boot Camp and a similarly configured PC . Not only for my sake, but also it hasn't been done yet as everyone just compares Snow Leopard Vs Windows 7 on the same machine.

Collapse -
That would be a challenge.

In reply to: Still would like a head to head

There are long discussions about how to do a benchmark. I'll skip all that and just say "it's a problem" that you'll have to decide which one you'll use.

Then we have the age old issue of whether we strip it down to the OS for then benchmark or do we take it in the configuration handed to us?

Bob

Collapse -
A benchmark...duhh

In reply to: That would be a challenge.

Of course, a benchmark. This didn't even cross my mind. I was so fixated on doing a comparison between a Mac and similarly configured PC that I forgot that I could simply do a benchmark between Windows 7 and and older OS on the same system.

Ah, the simple things...glad I asked, thanks. If I get a chance, I'll post the results here.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.