PC Hardware forum

Question

Windows 7 Problem

I dropped my laptop, and before I went to bed and thought nothing of it...

The next day I started my laptop and everything looked fine, until I tried to load a new webpage (It started up where I had left off, on a reddit page)

It was taking forever to load.. So I restarted my laptop.

When I restarted it I had two choices, launch startup repair or start as normal.. I picked normal and then it would be stuck on the "Windows is loading" screen with the windows logo. (I have windows 7)

So I started startup repair, and after about 10 minutes of waiting, I checked again and it was at at a blue screen with a mouse logo (That I could move) But icons for applications no taskbar.. when I press any key nothing happens.. and the background was not the background I use (The background looked like a default background.. not sure)
Anyways, these are my symptoms, did anything come loose to make my laptop act like this? RAM? HDD?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows 7 Problem
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows 7 Problem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Can't find edit button.

In reply to: Windows 7 Problem

Oops. I meant there were NO icons for applications and NO taskbar.

Only a mouse icon that I can move as well as a blue (default?) desktop background.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Can't find edit button

Oops. I meant there were NO icons for applications and NO taskbar.

Only a mouse icon that I can move as well as a blue (default?) desktop background.

Collapse -
The EDIT button is here.

In reply to: Can't find edit button

Create a new or reply post but click on the Preview (center) button. You'll see the Edit button now.

Collapse -
Answer
It's broke

At least you're honest, you have a problem because it fell. That impact even if not on can or will cause an issue. Either something became loose or hassled or actually broken/cracked. The HD, itself could be at fault since once it started it actually further caused damage to appear as the working parts were corrupting data, either physically or small pgm. did it as well during its operation because it was corrupted. Overall, I don't se this as a good sign. If you know know made your PC, then visit the support website and check to see who made your HD. -OR- dissemble in order to view in hand and then visit that HD maker's website for any diags/test that allow you to check its status. Further, you may find the connection of the HD could be eschew. Otherwise, it suggest the HD is more than likely a cause of concern. I would check that ASAP.
Also, you could remove the HD and test elsewhere or in that same mode retrieve whatever data is critical to you. If the HD is now actually proven to be bad, replace and return data(if possible) or start anew using whatever saved data. I suggest you also check the ram sticks are firmly seated in their slots as well as anything else you can physically inspect/view. Do use common care when doing so.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Answer
windows 7

re install the OS ...hope then it will work fine.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.