Attention: The forums are currently placed on Read Only.

Thank you for visiting the CNET forums. Our site is currently undergoing some maintenance. During this period (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT,) you can read the forums content, however posting in the forum will not be available. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Windows 7 forum

Question

Windows 7 problem?

by 0brady0 / May 29, 2013 3:37 PM PDT

I don't know what is going on with the OS, or whatever may be causing the disfunction but here is a description:
Lately when my laptop is sitting idle for about twenty minutes or so it logs out and goes to the password screen, as if I had put it to sleep or hibernated it. But it just goes straight to the password screen. I have no settings to sleep the laptop after a certain amount of time or anything that would turn off the display or any other setting like that. And it just started happening this week, I have a sony vaio, and it is running windows 7 64 bit ultimate, I have no idea what setting I could have accidentally changed to make this occur and I wanted to see if anyone else has had or heard of this strange problem?

Discussion is locked

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Sure.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 29, 2013 11:49 PM PDT
In reply to: Windows 7 problem?

MSFT and other programs update and things change. You get to go back through any and all control panels to change this. Sometimes, with machines that don't reboot but sleep, you have to do a true reboot.
Bob

Collapse -
response
by 0brady0 / May 30, 2013 5:53 AM PDT
In reply to: Sure.

I have tried that and even rebooted it again but it still goes to the login screen after being inactive, and I don't understand why. I have gone through all the settings I know of over and over and can't find anything.

Collapse -
Fixed
by 0brady0 / May 30, 2013 6:36 AM PDT
In reply to: response

Just figured out what was causing it, I had no screensaver but I had it set to show login after a certain amount of time.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!