Windows 7 forum

General discussion

Windows 7 Packaging Released

by RonS [WINDOWS-TEAM] / June 23, 2009 4:07 PM PDT
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows 7 Packaging Released
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows 7 Packaging Released
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I know that it's someone's life's work.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 23, 2009 10:11 PM PDT

And they are likely proud but let's hope they concentrate on the content instead of the packaging.

I recently bought Visual Studio 2008 where the packaging is over done for what was inside. The entire package could easily fit in 10% of the space since it's all of 2 slips of paper and a DVD.

Getting the new package open the first time can be frustrating if you never did that before. I've seen one person take it to a band saw to get inside.

What were they thinking?
Bob

Collapse -
I agree
by RonS [WINDOWS-TEAM] / June 24, 2009 3:27 AM PDT

I think that anyone who's tried Win7 will tell you that a lot of thought and work went into the OS. They aren't trying to spit-polish a... well, a turd, here.

I think the redesign is more about a fresh start than anything else.

Cheers,

Collapse -
Easy-open...
by John.Wilkinson / June 24, 2009 12:20 AM PDT

When you've seen software developers and IT administrators throw the Windows Vista DVD case against a wall because they couldn't open it, you know there's something wrong. You can debate whether it was the casing or the people, but that will hopefully solve the problem.

The door says PULL.
John

Collapse -
Looks much, much easier
by RonS [WINDOWS-TEAM] / June 24, 2009 3:31 AM PDT
In reply to: Easy-open...
Collapse -
Packaging
by Steven Haninger / June 24, 2009 3:03 AM PDT

I always like it when an ad says "Customers told us....." but never who they were, how many were asked or what other suggestions were made. As such, I see the statement as suspect. I know that, many years ago, there was a call from environmental types to reduce the amount of packaging in an effort to save the earth. We all know that, for the most part, those requests seem to have gone unheeded. I have to think that security is a big issue. Smaller items walk out the door more easily than larger ones. Security tags stuck to the outside of packages can be removed more easily than ones hidden inside of packaging. As well, it's much easier to return an item if the packaging in intact rather than butchered in the process of extracting the items inside of it. I love those hermetically sealed clear plastic containers that cannot be opened without mangling them or risking severe blood loss from cuts and gashed to the skin as one attempts to get them open.

Still, overall, an attractive package doesn't enter into my decision making process. In fact, if the contents don't live up to expectations, I would be more likely to feel duped and suspicious of any more pretty packaging from that vendor in the future.

Collapse -
It's what's on the inside that counts...
by RonS [WINDOWS-TEAM] / June 24, 2009 3:35 AM PDT
In reply to: Packaging

I think your idea of security is a big factor in how companies are looking at packaging these days.

I'd agree that the packaging doesn't make my decision for me, but I'm not most consumers in this space. For most consumers, it's not that they are persuaded by the packaging (that's the marketing dept's job), they want to be able to walk into a store, see the item they need and grab it without any confusion - I think this new packaging not only makes that possible, but it makes it easier.

Like you said, and others (including myself) you can package a rock in the best packaging on Earth, but it's still a rock - I don't think you're going to open up your copy of Windows 7 and find the OS equivalent of a rock.

Cheers,

Collapse -
"rock"
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 24, 2009 3:47 AM PDT

Well, 7 RC was stable as a rock during our testing. So comparisons to rocks is a good thing. Pet rocks sold well too for a time.

Collapse -
But wait a minute
by Steven Haninger / June 24, 2009 5:43 AM PDT

I'd think it would be a bad analogy to consider an OS as solid as a rock. I'd rather find that quality in the package rather than mud or loose gravel. Happy

Collapse -
Lookin' good!
by FrankQC / June 24, 2009 4:17 AM PDT

I'm glad the packaging is more environmentally friendly.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?