Mac OS forum

General discussion

Windows 7 on Mac - can it be installed without problems?

by Gloria SP / July 14, 2010 1:22 PM PDT

Has someone installed the Windows 7 on Mac as it was possible with earlier versions of Windows?

Are there any limitations and glitches to be expected in installing (and running Windows programs as well) and if yes - what they are?

My Mac laptop has OS X 10.6, 2 Ghz and 4Gb RAM .

Thanks for any tips - I need to know what to expect before buying Windows 7 and trying to install it.

Thanks in advance!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows 7 on Mac - can it be installed without problems?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows 7 on Mac - can it be installed without problems?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Plenty of people
by Jimmy Greystone / July 14, 2010 11:24 PM PDT

Plenty of people have done it. I haven't personally, but there are loads of others who have. You can go either the Boot Camp or VMWare/Parallels route. Each having different good and bad points that you can research on your own to make a decision about which is right for you.

Collapse -
Win 7 on Mac -cont...
by Gloria SP / July 15, 2010 3:16 PM PDT
In reply to: Plenty of people

Thanks for that!

Anyone with some more info about good and bad points?

First hand experience in this instalation?

Thanks!!!

Collapse -
win 7 on a 27 inch imac
by luckyrob / July 23, 2010 12:23 PM PDT
In reply to: Win 7 on Mac -cont...

I use Parallels (about $70) and have been running win7 no problems on my mac. I use SQL a lot and I like the big clear screen so its easy to run Micorosoft SQL on WIN 7 and MYSQL on the mac. Also used virtual box (Free)3.1.2 (you need the older version to run 2008 server and a full blown version of sql and you can beat the price. have not found a downside yet. i7 core is plenty fast for both side by side.

Collapse -
No problem
by edacton / July 23, 2010 12:31 PM PDT

I have 7 ultimate running using virtual box(free) and haven't had any problems. Install was trouble free.

Collapse -
Under no circumstances can you install Windows...
by chrisreich / July 23, 2010 12:32 PM PDT

...and not expect problems. That's just crazy talk!

Sorry - I had to.

Chris Reich; Rochester, New York
twittername: chrisreich

Collapse -
No real problems ...
by jrhmobile / July 23, 2010 1:31 PM PDT

I'm running Win7 Home Premium 64-bit on my older 2.4GHz MacBook Pro. My system is set up to boot into either Win7 or Mac OSX 10.6 through Boot Camp.

Just like you supposedly can't be too rich or too thin (alas, I'm really not either), you can't have too much RAM. Stocking up with as much as your system can comfortably run is a good call. I run CS5 Master Edition and Office Professional on both sides of the system, and everything runs comfortably on the max 6GB of RAM I have installed in my older system.

So far I've run across only two minor problems:

1) I sometimes have complications running projectors from my MBPro on the Windows side. The standard keyboard tricks to sync mirror images with my laptop and the projector don't work universally. When I run across the situation I set up screens to run side-by-side and run my demos from the projector view.

2) I use Super Duper for cloning my hard drive/backup. Unfortunately, the cloning/backup only seems to work for the Mac side, and I haven't found a way to clone my Win7 partition. If anyone knows a solution, I'm open to suggestion ...

I've tried Parallels and VMware Fusion solutions with good success, but I personally prefer the speed I get running either/or for the two operating systems versus running both at the same time. Your mileage may vary. But if I had the need to run Windows apps on my MacBook, and I didn't want to buy two systems, I wouldn't hesitate to install Windows 7 on my Mac.

Collapse -
RE: No real problems...
by dj_erik / July 23, 2010 10:52 PM PDT
In reply to: No real problems ...

I personally run Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit in BootCamp on my MacBook Aluminum 2.4Ghz w/4Gb Ram, so it's probably a similar setup. The only issue I had was getting the drivers to install for 64bit from Apple. It's actually easy to do, but Apple decided to make it harder than it has to be. The performance isn't horrible, but it certainly isn't a gaming machine. This is mainly due to the 9400m graphics card.

The Backup program for Windows 7 Ultimate actually works quite well. I'll usually backup my Windows partition monthly, but I tend to manually backup the system because it's mainly used on the Apple side.
Using Virtual Machines though is nice in that you can use Time Machine to restore the whole computer to a previous date just by simply restoring the HD file.

As jrhmobile stated, Boot Camp will give you the best performance, but the ease of Virtual Machines can out weigh the performance at times. I personally use XP Pro on VirtualBox for quick stuff, and Windows 7 for when I need to use Windows for longer times. Plus it's nice for me to be able to test for cross-platform issues in software.

Collapse -
Try Paragon Software
by sturner--2008 / December 9, 2010 1:28 PM PST
In reply to: No real problems ...

They have a couple of software solutions, Paragon Drive Copy, and Paragon Volume Snapshot.

From what they say, Drive Copy might do what you want. Check out their web site for further information.

Collapse -
I'd recommend upgrading your RAM if you can
by Kingdaddy2000 / July 24, 2010 11:14 PM PDT

I have a 17" MBP with 4GB RAM, new Sept 09. I also have two external monitors connected to it, a 24"HP, and a 22" Gateway. I installed Windows 7, and Parallels, and thought it would be cool to have one monitor showing Windows 7, and the other OSX programs, with email on the MBP main window. However, running both at the same time seemed to get a bit bogged down, which I assume was due to needing more RAM.

We own our own small business, and recently opened a new corporate headquarters. Since I use Dropbox for my files, I decided I didn't want to take my laptop back and forth, and bought a 27" Core i5 (quadcore) iMac. To ensure I didn't have the RAM issue, I bought it with 16GB of RAM. I added a 27" HP external monitor, and I have to say, it is the MOST AWESOME setup I have ever experienced.

Now, it has me thinking about buying an additional 4GB of RAM for my MBP so that I would be at least at 8GB. You can get it for a little over $200 from Other World Computing, and the videos on YouTube show that it is a beginner level installation - very easy.

BTW - my 27" iMac came with VM FusionWare, and after using it, I think I like it better than Parallels, although it may be unfair due to the machine.

Collapse -
System requirements...
by seasundevil / December 5, 2010 7:53 AM PST

@kqingdaddy2000 - what kind of ram/cores do you dedicate to the windows vm?

I've been thinking about running the same setup you spoke of, but from one of the new i7 MacBook pros. Do you think that the i7, 8 gb ram would be enough to power that setup?

Thanks.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?