Computer Help forum

General discussion

Windows 7 messed up my computer!!! Help please!!!

by communistpenguin / December 12, 2009 9:20 AM PST

Hello,
Two weeks ago I purchased an acer timeline 5810T and was in perfect condition running windows vista. I applied for the windows 7 upgrade to be sent to me via email almost immediately after taking the laptop home. In my anxious attempt to try out the new windows OS, I kept my computer safe only using it a couple of times to prepare it for the upgrade when it came in the mail. Finally after about a week of waiting, the much anticipated upgrade came in, and I had successfully installed windows 7.During the installation process, after installing the upgrade, I had to change CD's to finalize the three step process. I was surprised to find out that the cd drawer wouldnt open on comand, so I used the little paper clip trick. When the CD wouldnt autolaunch I restarted the computer and completed the last step of the upgrade. Finally windows 7 was installed, and I went to bed and left the laptop open as it was restarting itself. When I awoke the next morning, I found out that the computer was still at the "shutting down" phase of restarting. I manually shut down the computer and started it up again. Later I installed Adobe Cs3, and it required a restart as well. The same thing happened and i was required to manually shut it down and boot it up again. Also i've found out that if I leave the laptop open for an extended period of time, the screen will go black and there would be no way to get the screen back, like wiggling the mousepad or tapping the power button or anything, not even opening the or closing the laptop. I really dont understand what in the world is going on with this laptop, but If anybody could please offer me any help it would be greatly appreciated!!!
Thanks
-Tony

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows 7 messed up my computer!!! Help please!!!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows 7 messed up my computer!!! Help please!!!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
me to!!!
by ikantfli / January 20, 2010 8:53 AM PST

i got the aspire 5810t and have the same exact problem.i got it for christmas and ordered windows 7. waited a week and a half, got it, and the first two discs worked fine,but when i tried to get the disc out after it restarted,it wouldnt come out. i tried for an hour to get it out but it didnt work,so i tried to turn it off. but it got stuck on the logging off page, so i turned it off manually.when i turned it back on the disc came out, so i put the 1st disc in again to finish the upgrade. i had a few problems with last part, but i guess that can be blamed for "disc not coming out" problem. now sometimes it freezes up when i use firefox, and i have to restart the computer. i havent had the screen go black yet,because i am propably always using the mouse.the computer takes an extra long time to start and is slower.their are a few other little problems, buti wont get into themhopefully we find an answer.

Collapse -
Sounds like driver issues..
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / January 22, 2010 4:03 AM PST
In reply to: me to!!!

Although Windows 7 will "usually" work well using the same drivers required for Vista, in some cases, the hardware on the machine needs specific Windows 7 drivers for the motherboard/chipset, BIOS, audio, video, ethernet, or wireless adapater.. You'll need to check with Acer to see if they already have a new set of drivers for Windows 7 and if not, then check each device manufacturer's website to find updated stuff.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
You need to check the Acer website ...
by Edward ODaniel / January 21, 2010 1:21 AM PST

and see if a BIOS upgrade is available or necessary as it sounds like you are having ACPI (Advanced Configuration and Power Interface) problems.

You can also possibly help things a bit by manually configuring the power, sleep, and hibernation settings in the OS.

Collapse -
upgrade
by jeff_windows_team / January 21, 2010 4:21 AM PST

Since it sounds like you haven't installed many programs or used the previous OS too much, it might not hurt to perform a clean installation instead of an upgrade installation.

Collapse -
Old problem solved....now here's another one...
by communistpenguin / January 24, 2010 5:13 AM PST

Ok, so I fixed all the issues with the laptop previously, but now something else has come up. For some reason the built in microphone wont work at all. Whenever I try to use it in a program such as audacity, sound recorder, or skype, it says that there is no microphone installed in my computer and it requests that I use a USB microphone. The mic worked fine prior to 7 but now its acting screwy and it wont let me use it. I tried updating the drivers online from the acer website and I downloaded and installed the correct drivers but it still doesnt work. If anybody could please help me it would be greatly appreciated. thanks again
-Tony

Collapse -
Still Sounds Like A Driver Issue..
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / January 25, 2010 8:28 AM PST

Basically, Windows 7 has to "recognize" the microphone correctly.. If the Acer site doesn't have a Windows 7 specific driver for the mike, try visiting the microphone's website and see if they have something that will work..

You might also try checking the Device Manager and see if there is a microphone listed there.. Sometimes, uninstalling the microphone from Device Manager, then restarting the machine will allow Windows to correctly find and install the device along with the correct driver.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!