Windows 7 forum

Resolved Question

Windows 7 live mail

by maryisme247 / January 31, 2012 2:31 AM PST

As I was looking through my e-mail settings, I noticed that I have my mail set up to check for new messages every 30 minutes. I just want to receive mail as it comes in. If I un-check that particular box will that enable this to happen? Also, if I have to set it to check every minute, will that effect how my system runs? As in, will it noticeably interrupt things? Confused

maryisme247 has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows 7 live mail
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows 7 live mail
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by maryisme247

Collapse -
Just so you know.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 31, 2012 2:53 AM PST
In reply to: Windows 7 live mail
Collapse -
I think lucky is a relative term..he he
by maryisme247 / January 31, 2012 5:49 AM PST
In reply to: Just so you know.

There are days when I feel luckier than others. Anyway, If I un check the box that gives me options how often to receive or look for new e-mail messages, does that mean I should hit send and receive periodically on my own to see if I have new messages? Put another way, If I leave the box blank, does that disable the ability to receive messages. (some days I can put my thoughts into words better than others, this may not be my day) I couldn't find the answer to my question on that link you offered.

Collapse -
Sorry but my letter t sometimes gets lost.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 31, 2012 6:17 AM PST

There is no user settable value exposed in a control panel. The link I gave is for those that dare edit the registry to go in and find and change this setting at their own risk.

There is no user friendly answer today that I know of except to use a better email software.
Bob

Collapse -
Thanks
by maryisme247 / January 31, 2012 11:58 AM PST

I am REALLY not lucky when it comes to fiddling with the registry. I do appreciate that you took the time to respond. I will live with the set up I have for now.
Thank you!

Collapse -
Answer
Re: receive as it comes in.
by Kees_B Forum moderator / January 31, 2012 6:09 AM PST
In reply to: Windows 7 live mail

That probably works if you connect to an MS Exchange server (they are in the cloud, search for "hosted Exchange" and use MS Outlook). It does at my work, anyway.

My interval (in Thunderbird) is set to the default 10 minutes, which I find perfectly acceptable. I don't think, however, that setting it to every minute or every 2 minutes will have a noticeable effect on how your system runs.

Kees

Collapse -
I thought it might work with a cloud
by maryisme247 / January 31, 2012 12:01 PM PST

Since this is just my home computer I think I will probably set for 10 mins and leave it at that. I was more curious than anything.
Thanks for the reply!

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!