Windows 7 forum

General discussion

Windows 7 Install

by mjaew1 / June 14, 2009 8:31 PM PDT

Hi,

we downloaded the Windows 7 release candidate and it wont do a clean install on top of the Windows 7 Beta.

We are running a Gigabyte Motherboad (GA-MA770-DS3), AMD X2 Athlon 64-bit processor (AM2 Athlon X2), 4GB Kingston RAM (Dual Channel DDR2 1066Mhz), Seagate 500MB harddrive (Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 500GB 7200RPM SATA II), Sony DVD Writer (AD7200 SOBINT20X DVD Burner), video card (ASUS 9400GT Silent 512MB).

I believe we need to do a "clean install", which I understand to mean backup all personal data somewhere other than your harddrive, then put the DVD containing the ISO image into the DVD drive, select Boot from CD/DVD only in BIOS and reboot.

After doing that the PC boots up with the existing Windows 7 Beta (Build 7000) OS installed and seems to ignore the ISO image on DVD. We have unplugged everything from the PC except the keyboard, power supply and monitor and the problem remains. We have also downloaded the Release Candidate twice.

Any hints? Thanks,
Matthew.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows 7 Install
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows 7 Install
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
RE: installing Windows 7
by Kees Bakker / June 14, 2009 8:43 PM PDT
In reply to: Windows 7 Install

That's the correct idea. Things that can go wrong:
1. BIOS setup isn't set to boot from DVD first.
2. DVD isn't bootable (you didn't make it the correct way)
3. DVD-drive isn't fully functional and needs replacement.

You say that 1 has been taken care of. That leaves 2 and 3. Both are easy to check with another bootable DVD and another PC.

Kees

Collapse -
Re: installing Windows 7
by mjaew1 / June 14, 2009 9:15 PM PDT

Hi,

yes we did set BIOS to boot from CD/DVD and disabled all other boot options. Now we burned the ISO image using Ulead Burn.Now v1.5. Apart from specifying ISO it's hard to see where to make the DVD bootable.

I'll try running another bootable DVD in the drive to eliminate the DVD drive. We've already tried running the Release Candidate DVD in a different DVD drive and the same problem happened (no installation screen).

thanks,
Matthew.

Collapse -
"Apart from specifying ISO"...
by John.Wilkinson / June 15, 2009 1:33 AM PDT

That is exactly what you need to do. Normally, you burn a data DVD, which means you take the file, as is, and burn it to DVD. However, an ISO is one file that contains other files; you need those files to be extracted from the ISO during the burn process since those files make the DVD bootable, not the ISO itself. Thus, you'll need to find the 'burn ISO' option and use it rather than the 'standard' method.

Hope this helps,
John

Collapse -
Re: apart from specifying ISO
by mjaew1 / June 15, 2009 8:39 PM PDT

Hi,

I see your point now. I downloaded Undisker, extracted the ISO file using undisker which created a buch of files and folders and now I will write these files and folders to DVD using DVD burner SW (Ulead) with the ISO file transfer method.

Then it should at least bring me to the installation screen.

br,
Matthew.

Collapse -
For future reference...
by RonS [WINDOWS-TEAM] / June 16, 2009 3:44 AM PDT

Here's the verbiage from the Windows 7 site about ISO creation:

The RC download is an ISO file, which you'll need to burn onto a blank disc before you can install it. To do that, you'll need to use software designed for burning ISO files.

In addition to commercial ISO burning software, there are free programs such as ISOBuster and Active ISO Burner. To find one, go to a site such as Download.com or Tucows and search for "ISO," "DVD," and "burn".

Follow the instructions that came with your program to create a Windows 7 RC installation disc.

Also, here's the link to installation instructions, just in case.

Cheers,

Collapse -
That seems wrong.
by Kees Bakker / June 16, 2009 6:43 AM PDT

You don't burn that bunch of files and folders to DVD. You burn that one iso-file using the "burn iso file" method (or whatever it's called in Ulead; Nero calls it "burn image to disk"). That's the only way to do it.

Kees

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?