HolidayBuyer's Guide

Windows 7 forum

Question

Windows 7, IE 8 APPCRASH message -- what does this mean?

by kenmore3233 / June 3, 2011 1:52 AM PDT

I just installed a new version of Windows 7 on my notebook. When I user IE 8, however, I am blocked from accessing many webpages, and forced to close the tab. I'm getting the following APPCRASH info. What does this mean, and how can I fix the problem?

Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: iexplore.exe
Application Version: 8.0.7600.16766
Application Timestamp: 4d65d5c3
Fault Module Name: Flash.ocx
Fault Module Version: 6.0.29.0
Fault Module Timestamp: 3cc47d54
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 00054564
OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: 0a9e
Additional Information 2: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
Additional Information 3: 0a9e
Additional Information 4: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows 7, IE 8 APPCRASH message -- what does this mean?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows 7, IE 8 APPCRASH message -- what does this mean?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Me too!
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 3, 2011 3:53 AM PDT

I tried Windows 7 on one of our other laptops. It was a bad sign there were no Windows 7 drivers from the maker but we thought we would try.

Same Appcrash!! So we had to use the restore media to run Vista on it forever.
Bob

Collapse -
ok
by kenmore3233 / June 3, 2011 4:36 AM PDT
In reply to: Me too!

So you are saying that you attempted to put Windows 7 on a laptop that was not originally designed to use Windows 7, hence the the problem with the drivers and the APPCRASH message?

My notebook originally came with Windows 7. The hard-drive was destroyed, so I repalaced it, then applied a friend's version of Windows 7 to the computer. After this, the APPCRASH problem began. But given that my notebook was designed to use Windows 7, I'm not sure what to make of the problem.

Collapse -
Let's see what model this is and
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 3, 2011 4:43 AM PDT
In reply to: ok

If you used the restore media.

Sorry but those details are eluding me. And yes I did in fact try that. Perils of being in a software design house. We get to try things like this. The reasons are we like to see what happens and it gives me insight to the problems members encounter.
Bob

Collapse -
and..
by kenmore3233 / June 3, 2011 4:55 AM PDT

By "resore media," I assume you are talking about something like the built-in system restore option, correct? In my case, that wasn't an option, because my entire original hard-drive was destroyed. I had to apply a fresh Windows 7 system onto my new, blank hard-drive.

Collapse -
Not to resore anything but "restore media."
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 3, 2011 5:02 AM PDT
In reply to: and..

Without the restore media you would need an install procedure from the maker. Since the make and model is eluding me my advice has to be the following choices.

1. Order the restore media and use that so you avoid item 2.
2. Ask the maker for CLEAR INSTRUCTIONS on how to install Windows.
Bob

Collapse -
HP
by kenmore3233 / June 3, 2011 5:41 AM PDT

It's an HP G Notebook G62-355DX. It's the latest model, costs $399 new. So you're saying that it's not so easy or straight forward to simply install Windows 7 on a blank hard-drive for this computer? I'm pretty certain my friend installed the Windows 7 properly.

Are you confident that my APPCRASH message is due to the issues you are raising? Thanks.

Collapse -
Sad news.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 3, 2011 5:48 AM PDT
In reply to: HP

I owned a HP G62 and it's rather a long story but it went back to HP for repair and was never the same. After some discussion with HP they walked out on me leaving me with an useless HP G62.

It was locking up and appcrashing as above.

I must tell the full story. Since I had work to do and HP was not repairing my machine I went out and replaced it with a Dell. I didn't share this story for quite some time but started to share it here since HP didn't make good.

SIX MONTHS and likely due to the story here another HP rep has contacted me about this laptop but it may be too late. I had loaned it out to another person to see if they could run Linux on it. (it fails that too.) So the story is I'm 9 or more months later and no working laptop from that purchase.

So with your story it's the G62, my confidence has been dashed. But a stock Windows install will need all the right drivers or else this can happen.
Bob

Collapse -
HP
by kenmore3233 / June 3, 2011 7:23 AM PDT
In reply to: Sad news.

I bought this HP because it was only $399, and it had the latest specs. I regard it as a "disposable" computer than can be tossed and replaced if anything goes wrong. If I hadn't been lucky enough to have access to a cheap new hard-drive and friend's copy of Windows 7, I would have thrown the notebook away.

Anyway, the "Geek Squad" people at Best Buy -- where I originally bought the notebook -- told me the computer would have the drivers to support Windows 7, and that I could buy a new hard-drive from them and install Windows 7 myself. They cautioned me against using any older version of Windows, however, explaining that my computer's drivers probably would not support anything accept Windows 7. Thus, I didn't expect any problems.

Now I'm experimenting with Firefox 4 as a browser. Let's see if that functions without any crash messages.

Collapse -
np
by kenmore3233 / June 4, 2011 4:04 AM PDT
In reply to: HP

So far, I've had no problem with Firefox 4. The APPCRASH message has not appeared.

Collapse -
Gotta love IE.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 4, 2011 5:40 AM PDT
In reply to: np

If it's just IE, research how to run it without ADDONs.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.