Computer Help forum

Question

windows 7 freezing soon after startup, after updates last ni

by BerniniCaCO3 / March 16, 2014 4:47 AM PDT

I shut down my desktop last night (running windows 7 64 bit), and it wanted to install 7 updates so I let it.

I booted it up again this morning and it proceeded with a registry update too, click on my username, log in, and just move to open chrome when it freezes. Just, nothing-- mouse won't move, ctrl-alt-delete won't respond.

I reboot again, then it freezes a little sooner

I reboot again, now it freezes before I can even log in!

I reboot again, now it freezes a little later again, I can just get my mouse to the start menu.

OK now it's a pattern...
I check my hard drive cables, and the power cord at the wall, both of which once caused me issues actually very much like this, reboot again, and it freezes again can't remember where.

So i reboot again, in safe mode with networking this time (as I type this now), and voila it's stable.

Now I'm really not that experienced with troubleshooting this sort of thing. Presumably something that is loaded --even before I get to my desktop, I guess, since it froze once at the login screen-- is not playing nice with some of the recent updates.

How do I begin to find out what?
Hech, your help could even be in the form of recommending a step-by-step how-to article that seems like it'll apply to my situation, so I can begin to eliminate some programs/gadgets/drivers/etc.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: windows 7 freezing soon after startup, after updates last ni
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: windows 7 freezing soon after startup, after updates last ni
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Go back...
by Willy / March 16, 2014 5:21 AM PDT

If you have the system restore feature active, you can undo those last recent updates, etc., Just enter the restore point that has the date you need prior to your last, it should be the last one. Click on it to do it and just walk away from after it starts. Once done, and it returns and reboots and finishes, then check your system again. It should just as it was before that last update(s). It will however, want to redo those same updates, etc., you may want to "custom install" instead of automatically allowing a slew of updates to be done, click on update window and select 1 or 2 and allow it to update. Don't do any "optional" or anything related as drivers, etc., just the critical ones. Once done, reboot or let it finish and return and allow the next updates to be done and so on. Hopefully, doing it this way may control some issues or it handles it better or you see what is causing a problem if you don 1 at a time instead. Oh yes, this takes time, so slow down and allow the time it needs if for anything to narrow down what update is causing the problem.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Answer
got it mostly solved :)
by BerniniCaCO3 / March 16, 2014 6:38 AM PDT

sweet! I figured it out, sorta.

I started disabling things in system configuration. Something was loading and freezing the computer. Something was loading even from the startup screen before login...

I would have expected it to be windows related (what else loads before I even get to my desktop?) but it wasn't, and I got it narrowed down to:

AMD External Events Utility
Intel(R) Content Protection HECI Service
Intel(R) Rapid Storage Technology
Steam Client Service

If you can think of any reason why I might need one of these, all I have to do is continue the process to get it down to the one that was causing the problem, but I'm not sure I need them/ that I should care?

Collapse -
I missed what this PC is made of.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 16, 2014 6:53 AM PDT

AMD External Events Utility
Intel(R) Rapid Storage Technology

If this was an Intel based computer I would not expect the first item.
And if AMD, the second would not be installed.
Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!