General discussion

Windows 7 freezing

I have an older 2002 Compaq Presario 6410nx PC with AMD Athlon XP 1500+ and a 2004 ASROCK K7V3M Motherboard. I am using a 256 MB AGP graphics card. I have 2 GB DDR667 RAM and a new HD (250 GB) ATA-IDE. I have solved all of the hardware-software problems associated with drivers and such. However, one problem keeps reoccurring. My PC freezes all the time. When I open applications such as Mozilla Firefox, Real Player, Windows Media Player , or do serious surfing or personalizations with explorer.exe. The only thing that unfreezes the computer is if I go to Windows Task Manager and right-click on the unresponsive operation and click on create Dump File. Unfortunately, it takes my system 5-15 or 30 minutes to create the Dump File, and that does not solve the problem. It just unfreezes it at 100% of 54% of my CPU. The problem always occurs again later. Please help!

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Windows 7 freezing
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Windows 7 freezing
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Those AMD Athlon XP 1500+

Had freeze issues before 7. I'd look at replacing this gear or seeing if other OSes don't lock up. My advice on the old Athlons you find in Socket A is to leave them alone. Leave them on the old OS and save your money for new gear.

This one is not an OS issue.
Bob

- Collapse -
Locked.

Sorry but that sort of reply results in locked posts.

CNET Forums

Forum Info