General discussion

Windows 7 Flash Drive install issues

I had W 7 installed on my HDD. I then installed an SSD (30Gb) and installed W7 on that. How do I transfer the settings to the SSD from the HDD? And also how do I prevent the PC asking which OS to boot from and waiting 20 seconds to boot from one or the other, as the PC now sees two OSes installed on the PC?
Thanks
Jas

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Windows 7 Flash Drive install issues
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Windows 7 Flash Drive install issues
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
So you left the hard drive in and then installed

Windows 7 on the SSD drive? This means you do have two copies available. Did you consider just cloning the OS to the SSD? Perhaps you have your reasons for doing as you did but it seems cloning would have been the better choice.

- Collapse -
Windows 7 SSD install issues

How do you clone just the OS to the SSD?
Thanks
Jas

- Collapse -
Well, you can't clone just the OS

of a drive that has other software and data on it. I guess it wasn't clear exactly what your final goal was when you mentioned transferring settings. You can use cloning software...purchased or free...to transfer the entire contents of one drive to another in a fashion that makes it bootable. Or you can do a clean installation of Windows and manually transfer data. But, you would want to do that installation with only your SSD drive present during the installation as Win7 will see and interact with that drive. This is why you're asked which to boot from. If you want the entire contents of the old drive transferred, you can use cloning software but I can't get into instructions for how to do that. If you don't want the software on the old drive transferred, then you do a clean installation with only one drive present and attach the other drive later to transfer any data.

- Collapse -
To transfer the settings

use the Windows Easy Transfer Wizard.
As to cloning, you clone the entire contents of the drive Windows, Programs, data files and all.
If you don't want 2 copies of the OS, you will need to get rid of one.
To get rid of the first one on the hdd, you will need to boot with the W7 dvd format the hdd, and then run a repair instalation the ssd to recover the boot files.

CNET Forums

Forum Info