Windows 7 forum

General discussion

Windows 7 Extended Desktop issue with Samsung TV

by justkanishk / August 7, 2010 10:06 AM PDT

I have Windows 7 Enterprise installed on my Dell laptop. When I connect it to Samsung 46" LCD TV using VGA and press Fn+F8, my TV gives the error "Mode not supported". I have already tried playing with the settings in screen resolution and changing the resolution for TV & laptop separately.

However when I connect the same laptop to a Samsung 22" monitor, I can extend the display without any issues.

PC Details:
Dell Inspiron 6000 - 15"
Screen Resolution: 1680x1050
Intel Pentium R 1.66GHz/2 GB RAM
Display: ATI Mobility RADEON X300

TV Details:
Samsung LN46A750R
Display:1920x1080

Can someone help in this regard?

Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows 7 Extended Desktop issue with Samsung TV
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows 7 Extended Desktop issue with Samsung TV
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I see it.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 7, 2010 11:20 PM PDT
Collapse -
Used to work before
by justkanishk / August 9, 2010 11:13 AM PDT
In reply to: I see it.

bob,

Thanks for the reply. However, I am not sure if this will fix my problem. I have been using the same laptop with Windows XP with this TV using VGA connector since last 2 years (till 2 weeks ago when I upgraded to Windows 7). I have always been able to use the TV at 1920x1080 resolution by pressing Fn+f* in past. However, the error started coming with Windows 7. I have also installed all Windows 7 updates including the one for Samsung SyncMaster display.

Collapse -
That's a little more telling.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 9, 2010 11:18 AM PDT
In reply to: Used to work before

Microsoft does not supply all our machine's drivers. I read many post about all Windows 7 udpates but to fix this I bet we have to go get the drivers the old fashioned way. Hint? From the machine's makers.

Until then I think we are limited to 720p over HDMI if HDMI even works with Microsoft's drivers.
Bob

Collapse -
WOW GREAT NEWS!
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 9, 2010 11:19 AM PDT

You wrote you have Windows 7 Enterprise! That's really great news as that includes support from Microsoft and the company that gave you this!

I envy you!
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?