Windows 7 forum

General discussion

Windows 7 Drive types

by netsiu / February 27, 2010 1:10 PM PST

Can't think of any other way to title this.
I have been forced by software makers to upgrade from Win 2K so went all the way to 7 32Bit. OEM of coarse.
It has been a merry struggle all the way. Installed OS. Installed this that and the other and next thing I know I as Administrator am no longer allowed access to anything.

Finally solved all the software issues but lost CD/DVD drives.
Found them again but 7 see's them as hard drives and wants to format.
Probablly a registry issue but can't find anything on the internet.

All parts are new.
790GX-G65 MSI MB
4Gig Kingston DDR3 ram
3 Sata drives 2IDE
2DVD drives one is a Dbl Layer writer

Before asked; 32Bit Vs 64 Bit was so I could keep my favorite software.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows 7 Drive types
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows 7 Drive types
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Windows 7 Drive types update
by netsiu / February 27, 2010 1:15 PM PST
In reply to: Windows 7 Drive types

The DVD's are IDE drives

Collapse -
Just a couple of notes
by Jimmy Greystone / February 27, 2010 9:28 PM PST

Just a couple of notes, since they may be helpful down the road.

First off, the OEM license terms were changed before 7 came out, so odds are whomever sold that copy to you, shouldn't have.

Second, save for a very select few programs, the 64-bit version of Windows has full backwards compatibility with 32-bit programs. There was no need to waste that last half GB of RAM. I'm not sure if the OEM setup is like the upgrade discs I got, where there's both the 32 and 64-bit versions included, but since there's a good chance your issue will result in having to reinstall, it'd be a good chance to move to 64-bit if it is. The only thing 64-bit Windows doesn't have, is 16-bit capabilities, but then Win2K had rather poor and limited 16-bit support anyway, and those programs should have been phased out 10-12 years ago.

It honestly sounds like your issue is one of malware damage. You may have been somewhat protected by the age of Win2K in the past. Malware may have simply failed to work because no one bothered to make sure it did work on Win2K. You might be able to fix it via the registry, but more times than not people make things worse when they start spelunking around in there.

Also, you haven't run any kind of registry cleaner/fixer programs have you? If not, be sure to keep it that way. They will usually create more problems than they solve, and there's no easy way to recover from any damage they do.

Since it sounds like your install is still fairly new, I would simply blow it away and start fresh. A bit of a pain, yes, but usually in cases like yours you can either rip the band-aid off now... Or you can keep on keeping on, without any idea of how long it may take to restore full functionality, with no guarantee that is even possible. Formatting has a known quantity of time you'll need to invest, whereas trying to fix an issue could be a matter of minutes, hours, days, weeks, months, even years depending on how stubborn you are. Usually it's faster and easier to just spend 2-3 hours formatting and reinstalling.

And one final thing. You don't have any blank discs in the DVD drives by any chance do you? And you don't have any packet writing (CD as a floppy) software installed like Nero InCD or Roxio DirectCD? That could certainly explain your reported issue. Especially if they're older versions.

Collapse -
Acouple of notes
by netsiu / February 28, 2010 7:28 AM PST
In reply to: Just a couple of notes

As first time user of the forums here I'm just figuring out how they work. Thought I answered two responders with one but see now that I need to answer each separately.
Soooo!
The 32bit was because my son a couple of years back built new and installed Vista ultimate 64bit and was not able to install any of the favored 32 bit software. Games and such installed and ran just fine but things like Office 2000 did not.
As for registry cleaners I have a favorite but it would not work when installed. I uninstalled it and the troubles started a couple of days later.
Following the code 39 trail I ended up in Microsoft and there was guided to part of 7 that deals with COMMON computer problems, but it was not able to cure. It like everything else I've tried requires the correct driver which requires the CD inserted into the drive that doesn't work. Kind of like a dog chasing its tail. Even if it does catch it its gone nowhere.

Collapse -
I would have gone 64 bit.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 27, 2010 10:17 PM PST

I have all the new machines on 7 64 bit and zero issues with 32-bit apps.

As to the CD/DVD drive, the old CODE 39 problem is still happening. GOOGLE THAT!

Again, ALL my 32-bit apps are running on Windows 7 64 bit so why someone would not try it would be mildly interesting.
Bob

Collapse -
a couple of notes & woulda gone 64bit
by netsiu / February 28, 2010 2:11 AM PST

The problem may be malware but the first install behind 7 was Norton Antispy ware. All the problems started when my daughter installed Yahoo messenger through her user account.
If I could access the DVD Roms I would have wiped and reinstalled. Tried reinstalling the backup that I did just prier to the problems but it said the backup was corrupt and wouldn't.
Just before starting this thread I saw the post on OEM and I agree with that person that it is just a ploy to wrench more money out of the masses.
I went 32 bit because my son 2 years ago went 64 bit Vista and couldn't run any of his 32 bit programs. And 7 is supposedly Vista based.
My 7 sees the rom drives as roms but treats them as hard drives.

Collapse -
My 7 sees the rom drives as roms but treats them as hard dri
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 28, 2010 2:52 AM PST

"My 7 sees the rom drives as roms but treats them as hard drives."

That's not what I read above. Maybe you are writing you can't record with Windows 7. For me that's true too. I don't use what the OS provides for recording. I use CDBURNERXP and more.

You seem to be unfocused on your discussion. What does "Just before starting this thread I saw the post on OEM and I agree with that person that it is just a ploy to wrench more money out of the masses" have to do with resolving these issues? Let's stay focused.

Collapse -
Staying focused
by netsiu / February 28, 2010 3:18 AM PST

I am FOCUSED. The post you answered was answers to the posts Pryor.

Collapse -
Then research
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 28, 2010 3:39 AM PST
In reply to: Staying focused

The old code 39 issue. You didn't answer my latent question about reading and writing media. Some think the OS should do this but the story continues that it may or may not work. I no longer troubleshoot Windows native recording. I use something else.

Bob

Collapse -
CD/DVD Programs not the problem
by netsiu / February 28, 2010 7:07 AM PST
In reply to: Then research

The problem is that I can't access the DVD drives.
Although Win 7 see's them as Rom drives it wants to treat them as Hard Drives. Which means it wants to format them when I click on them. it does this whether there is media in the drive or not.
As far as burning software goes I have Nero 8 I will install if ever I can access the roms.

Collapse -
Maybe it's a new thing?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 28, 2010 9:13 AM PST

"My 7 sees the rom drives as roms but treats them as hard drives."

Be sure to remove the upper and lower filters one more time just like you did in NT, XP, Vista and now 7.

Also, read about how CDBURNERXP has issues with 7 till we install the Intel driver.

-> I thought Nero 8 had issues with 7? A good reason to use something else. Links follow so you can catch up on filters and that Intel driver.

1. Upper, lower filter noted for 7 along with firmware:
http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/w7itprohardware/thread/e2e818df-9356-40b3-b6cd-ad0f157a7bae

2. The Intel driver that is driving us batty:
http://forum.cdburnerxp.se/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6798

NOTICE THAT FOR SOME IT WORKED BEFORE? This drives the owners crazy because they'll write "it worked before."
Bob

Collapse -
Solved
by netsiu / February 28, 2010 11:05 AM PST

Searched off of your track and found a forum with the answer.
removed lower filter from registry. Upper was not there.

Thanks for the help

Collapse -
Norton is rather lacking
by Jimmy Greystone / February 28, 2010 3:06 AM PST

Norton is rather lacking... In pretty much every respect, but probably most notably is its malware detection.

At work we use Norton's "enterprise level" cousin Symantec Endpoint, and the guy who usually goes out to clean up virus and malware infestions has a couple of bootable CDs that have different programs on them, because he's found Symantec Endpoint to be completely unreliable. There's also the person who likes to research new threats and analyze them, who recently discovered a virus or bit of malware that could hide from Symantec Endpoint until some OTHER program scanned a particular file. Then all of a sudden it was picked up by Endpoint.

So the moral of the story here is that Symantec/Norton products aren't even really worth free. And even if they were a bit better, there's still not a single AV program out there that will protect people from their own stupidity. Windows is still very much designed with the whole "island unto itself" mentality for computers. Until you've scanned the system with several other malware removers, I would work under the assumption that you have a raging infestation.

And I'm not sure what it is your son did 2 years ago, but I ran Vista x64 for probably about a year and a half before 7 came out, and since then I've been running 7 x64. I'm typing this from a 32-bit version of Firefox, I have a 32-bit Thunderbird running and a couple of other programs. I've been doing so for close to the past 2 years. Same with loads of other people. So, your son either exaggerated things greatly, or managed to screw things up in a rather spectacular way. SOME 32-bit programs won't work, but they are usually the ones that perform low level hardware functions. And any program that tries to access the hardware directly will not work, but that's nothing new. Microsoft has been pushing the whole protected mode development model for about the last 15 years. Virtually every other OS has had this system for even longer.

And Vista is technically XP based, XP is Win2K based, and Win2K is NT4 based, which is NT 3.51 based, which is NT 3.1 based. They all are part of the WindowsNT lineage. Win7 is just NT 6.1. It's really a pretty irrelevant point to bring up for this discussion. Your son either lied, misrepresented the situation grossly, incorrectly blamed Vista for an issue caused by something else (happens ALL the time), you misunderstood, remember incorrectly, or your son somehow managed to do something that very few others have... And not in a good way. Right from the start, all 64-bit versions of Windows have WoW (Windows on Windows). They have parallel versions of the 32 and 64-bit DLLs needed to run programs. A 32-bit app uses the 32-bit DLLs, a 64-bit one uses the 64-bit DLLs. Microsoft is many things, but stupid enough to not include any kind of support for 32-bit apps on their 64-bit operating systems they are not.

Collapse -
Sour Notes
by netsiu / February 28, 2010 3:25 AM PST

Sorry to upset the love of windows people but not being a tech type just one who likes a bit more than the canned verity of computers, so I build my own.
One program my son tried to install on his 64 bit Vista Ultimate was Office 2000. it would not install. Said not compatible.

Collapse -
Well
by Jimmy Greystone / February 28, 2010 9:03 AM PST
In reply to: Sour Notes

Well, that's because it likely wouldn't have installed on the 32-bit Vista either. Office2000 is pretty old, having been succeeded by OfficeXP, 2003, and 2007 as of about 2 years ago. That wasn't anything to do with a 64-bit issue, which about 30 seconds of googling would have shown.

Kind of an interesting scenario too, since neither side has unreasonable demands. People like your son don't feel like laying down large amounts of cash for a new version of a program when the one they have does everything they need. On the other hand, at what point does Microsoft cease having an obligation to update products they are no longer actively selling? When Vista came out in late 2006, Office2000 was already 4-5 years old at least. You had OfficeXP and 2003 come out in between, and Office 2007 was imminent.

But this looks to be a case of blaming Vista for something that really isn't Vista's fault.

Collapse -
What the.....
by netsiu / February 28, 2010 9:48 AM PST
In reply to: Well

I don't know why you keep dragging away from my Rom Drive problem but Office 2000 installed on my Win 7 and is running just fine.
My problem is my 7 no longer sees my ROM drives.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

We are giving away 'Black Panther' swag!

Four lucky readers will be taking home *Marvel*ous "Black Panther" prizes, including magazines autographed by the King of Wakanda himself! Giveaway ends Feb. 25, 2018.