Samsung forum

Question

Windows 7 doesn't realize OS is on a SSD

by reed4fun / May 22, 2014 7:56 AM PDT

I have Windows 7 installed on two Samsung 830 series SSDs in a RAID 0 configuration. It was working perfectly and all disk settings were optimized for SSds (TRIM, etc.) before I managed to erase Windows whilst trying to do a side-by-side install of Linux (worst mistake ever). Now Windows doesn't realize that the RAID 0 drives are SSDs, thus not allowing me to run software that optimizes Windows' use of the drives to extend their lifespan and boost performance. Any ideas on what I could do?

So far I have made sure the Intel C600 chipset is up-to-date (I think), but I don't know what else to do.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows 7 doesn't realize OS is on a SSD
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows 7 doesn't realize OS is on a SSD
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Usually that's a blown OS. I start over
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 22, 2014 7:59 AM PDT

And either restore from backup the entire OS or just the files as needed.

In parting, no detail of the RAID controller was supplied.
Bob

Collapse -
RAID controller
by reed4fun / May 22, 2014 10:19 AM PDT

The computer has a C600 series Intel SATA RAID controller. The computer sees the model of the drive as "Intel RAID 0 Volume SCSI Disk Device."

Collapse -
So it's likely the drivers and OS were blown.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 22, 2014 10:39 AM PDT
In reply to: RAID controller

I took a quick read of http://downloadmirror.intel.com/22136/eng/readme.txt and see the initial install is a lot of fun.

That is, I'm sure you know all about the use of F6 and OS repair plus how this is not a sure thing. But I'd try booting my Windows 7 DVD, follow the steps to use F6 and see if repairs can be accomplished. If not it's the same sad story and you need to execute your disaster plan.
Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!