General discussion

Windows 7 doesn't properly detect motherboard

I have been running Win XP with a Zotac GeForce 9300-ITX WiFi motherboard for the last several months. I just upgraded to Windows 7 32-bit. The computer boots fine and has assigned some generic driver to my onboard video card instead of properly identifying it as an nvidia. I believe the entire motherboard may have been misidentified. Trying to install the drivers from nvidia doesn't work. The setup just says it can't find any supported hardware and exits. I have tried a couple of versions with no difference in results. The device manager does not show any graphics cards, so I can't even try to select a driver manually. I have tried installing drivers from the original motherboard disc, and the latest from Zotac's website.

If anyone has ideas on possible solutions I would appreciate them.

Thanks

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Windows 7 doesn't properly detect motherboard
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Windows 7 doesn't properly detect motherboard
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Not my field
- Collapse -
Re: Not my field

Thanks for the response. I have tried the 32 bit Win 7 drivers from Zotac, but they unfortunately did not help. According to their release notes, the BIOS updates are all unrelated to the issues I am seeing. However, I did update to their latest release back when I was still running on Win XP.

- Collapse -
This sounds like you are

It sounds like you are trying to install video card drivers. In both your posts I read nothing about the motherboard chipset drivers.

In closing, Windows in all its versions has done poorly at detecting hardware. Not much changed over the years since Windows 1.0
Bob

- Collapse -
Re: This sounds like you are

Agreed. Unfortunately, in my case it appears they have gotten worse at detecting hardware since I was running fine under XP. My goal is to just get the video hardware recognized and running properly. I didn't mention the chipset drivers specifically, but I did try installing them from disc and from Zotac's site.

- Collapse -
Second hurdle.

"I just upgraded to Windows 7 32-bit."

I've found upgrades to fail like that. This is why I never give upgrades much hope. If the owner really wants to try it, go ahead but clean installs seem to be the only way.

At 50 bucks for a hard drive I find that to be the cheap exit for testing if the clean install will work.
Bob

CNET Forums

Forum Info