Question

Windows 7 - computer thinks that shift key is pressed

When I wake my computer from sleep mode, hibernate mode, or any other situation in which the display shuts off, it often behaves as if the shift key is pressed or stuck although there is no hardware issue (as you can see, the hardware of my shift key is working normally right now). It tends to resolve after a few minutes though. I have a Sony Vaio VGN-NW240F running Windows 7 Home Ultimate. I tried a clean reinstall and it did not help. The keyboard is fine, I have reinstalled the keyboard driver as well as Sony Utilities. Can anybody offer any advice? Thank you.

Discussion is locked
Answer
Follow
Reply to: Windows 7 - computer thinks that shift key is pressed
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Windows 7 - computer thinks that shift key is pressed
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
So you know about STICKYKEYS?

Yup, that's a feature in Windows. Click the orb, type in STICKYKEYS and be sure it's off.

- Collapse -
Yes, I do.

Stick Keys are off.

- Collapse -
Next test is to

Unplug this keyboard and use some USB keyboard for a bit.

- Collapse -
Hmmm

This is a notebook so I will have to find an external keyboard to use then.

- Collapse -
It's a common test.

Over in the CNET Laptop Troubleshooting forum we have top posts about keyboard replacement and more.

I was guessing you were a tech here. Sorry if it seemed a little too much.
Bob

- Collapse -
Answer
FINALLY! solved this problem

So i've had this problem on and off for several months - my laptop acts as if my ctrl &/or shift key
is depressed. Caps locked, multiple windows opening, highlighted/selected texts, links opening in new windows instead of same or even new tab - what a mess. I've been googling this problem for months! Well, today I solved it and hopefully everyone else out there with this stupid problem can google this forum and read my solution and get on their lives...

Finally, today as I was trying everything for the 1,000 time to fix it, I found a yellow ! in my device manager reflecting a device conflict (it was kind of buried and I had to expand everything to find it). It was for the "biometric coprocessor." What this heck? Turns out a biometric coprocessor is the thumbprint reader on my laptop. I have never used it, not once but apparently it is conflicting with my mouse or keyboard or something and has been for quite some time - hence all the weird keyboard problems. As soon as i disabled it - BINGO, my keyboard problems disappeared. I ended up uninstalling it completely and that was that. Problem SOLVED! Done and DONE!
hope this helps...

- Collapse -
Answer
Shift keys pressed autometically- Fixed.

Hi Bro,

I faced the same problem with my laptop Lenovo Z580, it is not a software issue, it is a Hardware issue that is your laptop keyboard might be damaged with dust, ants, water spilling on it, or etc. So, it is shorts circuited when you turned on your Laptop. It is better disable the keyboard by unplug the Keyboard band from your laptop and connect a external key board. If it is working fine now, then it is clearly a hardware issue, you must change your key board. I hope this will help to your the people who face the same issue. Thank you.

- Collapse -
Answer
I found a solution for windows !

THIS ONLY WORKS TILL YOU SHUT DOWN YOUR PC!

Hold shift and start pressing caps lock!
About 5-10 times.
AND BAM!

- Collapse -
Thx It WORKS

Used this technique work but u don't have to shut down ur computer though

- Collapse -
This Method Works!!

Hey thanks- This worked, PC didn't restart/shutdown, but problem got fixed!

- Collapse -
pressing SHIFT five times

if you look under accessibility settings and keyboard settings pressing shift five times turns on sticky keys if you have checked that box

- Collapse -
WOW YOU DESERVE A HUGE THANK

kyle-sahadeo

wow man. i was thinking of changing my keyboard. the problem was "Caps locked, multiple windows opening, highlighted/selected texts, links opening in new windows" all solved by pressing 5-10 times caps lock while shift is pressed.

Thank you so much

- Collapse -
Answer
SHIFT Key Problem Solved

My laptop keyboard is recently giving problem, Shift key is constantly pressing itself whenever I restart my computer. However I typed some keys from On-Screen Keyboard and my keyboard is working fine but I always have to press some keys on On-Screen Keyboard whenever I restart my computer. It works only till you shutdown your system. You guys can try this way.

- Collapse -
Answer
press shift for 5 times

press shift key for 5 times esle check your keyboard hardware may be there is some water

- Collapse -
Answer
Shift Key depressed in computers mind

So I am by no means a computer person. For all of middle school my text signature was “I HATE COMPUTERS” until my mom made me change it. But this happened to me this morning and I read everyone’s answers of what to do. My issues wasn’t “Sticky keys” and rebooting won’t work! But if you do reboot and there are numbers in your password used the onscreen keyboard. It is access on the button on the left side. Anyways I got my computer back up and I used the on screen computer to click the shift button. It completely fixed my problem. Like I said not a computer person but it’s a simple solution worth a try.

- Collapse -
This worked

For whatever reason this actually works!

CNET Forums