General discussion

Windows 7 clock advances time

I have a Toshiba laptop running Windows 7 home edition. I have noticed that my clock does not keep time, often advancing. I often put the laptop on hibernate...sometimes sleep. I do reboot about twice a week. Is the sleep/hibernation causing the clock problem and why should it? Is sleep better than hibernate?

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Windows 7 clock advances time
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Windows 7 clock advances time
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
That is typically

That is typically a symptom associated with a bad CMOS battery. Usually they last 3-4 years at least, but every now and then you get someone who will get a brand new system that has a dead battery.

If the thing is under warranty, have Toshiba replace it. Otherwise, you need to crack open the system, take the battery out, and go looking for a suitable replacement. Shouldn't cost you more than $10. It's just a simple coin cell battery.

- Collapse -
Just a comment.

I had a friend with a machine that did that. For some odd reason they not only disabled Windows Time sync feature but firewalled off the NTP port as well. Eventually the time would drift to the point they noticed.

There are HARDWARE CLOCKS we can add to fix this for those that refuse to let this Windows feature do its work.

Here's one -> http://www.timetools.co.uk/products/products-pc-sync.htm

I'm unsure why they did that.
Bob

- Collapse -
In addition...

I recently encountered a Windows 7 machine that, starting last month, leaped forward one hour every time it connected to the time server. Only happened on the one machine, but an interesting glitch never the less that forced the disabling of time synchronization.

John

CNET Forums

Forum Info