Computer Help forum

Question

Windows 7 booting failure - systempnp.sys or CDROM.sys

by cottle9 / January 20, 2014 6:50 AM PST

Booting up my HDD with a tone of new hardware; mobo, RAM, PSU, CPU.

Computer runs fine
Starts loading OS
Gets down to 'Loaded: systempnp.sys' and BSOD's with little to no information. people say that it's CDROM.sys (the next one) that fails to load.

Cannot boot to safemode; only system repair which hasn't helped much other than the command prompt.

no longer have the old PC to test the HDD in

Windows 7 64 bit

thanks, Tom

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows 7 booting failure - systempnp.sys or CDROM.sys
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows 7 booting failure - systempnp.sys or CDROM.sys
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Re: boto failure
by Kees_B Forum moderator / January 20, 2014 6:56 AM PST

Seems you forgot to reinstall Windows 7 from the DVD. Since it's a new mobo the activation will probably fail until you convinced Microsoft that it's a retail version and the old PC no longer exists. If it happens to be an OEM version, they will probably charge you for a new license code.

Kees

Collapse -
by cottle9 / January 20, 2014 8:02 PM PST
In reply to: Re: boto failure

So how would i go about reinstalling it? i can get a Windows 7 image but is that what i need?

Collapse -
To install Windows 7 ...
by Kees_B Forum moderator / January 20, 2014 8:13 PM PST
In reply to: Reply

you need a Windows 7 DVD with a license. Still easy to buy.

Kees

Collapse -
by cottle9 / January 20, 2014 8:53 PM PST

So there's no way to fix this without completely re-installing the OS and loosing everything?

Collapse -
Re: losing everything
by Kees_B Forum moderator / January 20, 2014 8:58 PM PST
In reply to: reply

As we say here: you only lose what you didn't backup. And since you still can easily copy everything out using a Linux disk and an external hard disk you'll lose nothing.

The alternative, of course, is installing Windows on a new hard disk, mount the old one in an external case, copy everything you need from it to your freshly installed Windows and keep it in use as a backup medium. Since it seems you need a new hard disk anyway, that might be easier.

Kees

Collapse -
Found the problem
by cottle9 / January 21, 2014 12:52 AM PST
In reply to: Re: losing everything

Solved this issue now.

The drive was booting up in AHCI. Changed that to IDE and it boots up fine

Thanks for the help

Collapse -
(NT) Good job. Thanks for telling.
by Kees_B Forum moderator / January 21, 2014 4:10 AM PST
In reply to: Found the problem
Collapse -
Answer
So you're using a HDD with an OS on it
by VAPCMD / January 20, 2014 11:16 AM PST

upgraded with new hardware ?? Or by loading do you mean 'installing' the OS ?

Collapse -
re
by cottle9 / January 20, 2014 8:00 PM PST

I've upgraded most of the hardware in my PC but the HDD and it's contents I've kept. The OS is installed on the HDD but won't boot.

Collapse -
(NT) Good to hear you got it and thanks for postiing the results.
by VAPCMD / January 21, 2014 1:13 AM PST
In reply to: re
Collapse -
Answer
change BIOS settings around
by James Denison / January 20, 2014 10:20 PM PST

since this is an older hard drive in a newer computer, put your settings to IDE mode in the BIOS, or SATA running as IDE, see if that helps. Be sure to have Secure Boot and any UEFI settings changed to off and/or CSM/Legacy modes. Maybe then you can boot to Safe Mode from the older hard drive since that will emulate an older motherboard. If so, immediately install all the driver files for the motherboard and don't allow it to reboot between them until they are all installed.

Collapse -
Worked
by cottle9 / January 21, 2014 12:53 AM PST

Just tried this and it worked; thanks for the help.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?