Computer Help forum

Question

Windows 7 boot issues

by freesetech / May 12, 2012 2:43 AM PDT

Hello,
I have a Dell Inspiron 1545 laptop running Windows 7 64-bit, 2gb ram, and a Intel Core Duo 2.20 GHz processor. It takes an average 5 minutes between pushing the power button and loading the desktop. At this point I think it is either a bad motherboard, bad hard drive, or other defective hardware. I ran both Super Anti-spyware and Malware bytes, they found nothing. I checked for updates and cleaned the registry. I've gone through msconfig and removed unnecessary processes. Using msconfig I double checked that it was using both processors. I also uninstalled any unnecessary programs. Finally I performed both Windows and Dell hardware diagnostics. Everything passed as fully functional. So I'm left with the final question, what would be slowing down the boot so much? One important note is that Dell boots with normal speed. It's when it starts loading windows it slows down so badly. Once it is on it runs very slow. Any ideas on what I'm missing?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows 7 boot issues
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows 7 boot issues
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Difficult to say
by Jimmy Greystone / May 12, 2012 4:06 AM PDT
In reply to: Windows 7 boot issues

Difficult to say, since for all we know you have a crapload of software loading at boot. I worked for a University one time, and there was one professor who had like a 3 year old computer. He kept complaining about how slow it was, and then you'd go out and find he insisted on having the full Adobe Creative Suite loaded at all times along with a dozen or so other programs. For all we know, you're the same way.

Also, there was mention of registry cleaners, so who knows what damage those might have done to your OS in the past. And it's a minor thing, but an important distinction none the less. You don't have two processors, you have a single processor with two processing cores. It's not the same thing as dual processors, even though that is how Windows will choose to represent it to you visually.

Collapse -
to clarify
by freesetech / May 12, 2012 5:16 AM PDT
In reply to: Difficult to say

First, I'm well aware that it is a dual-processor not two individual processors. Secondly, by cleaning the registry I mean I used the Glarysoft Utility program, it is the same thing as Piriform's CCleaner just with a few more tools. The only programs loading on boot are Itunes, Office, Cirro game player (similar to onlive), and standard windows software. None of this should slow down the boot process so much. Also, when I disabled those processes in msconfig it didn't improve. I'm going to try re-installing Windows 7 to repair any possible conflictions, but my concern is that the hardware is the source of the problem. Extremely slow computing is often a sign of defective or malfunctioning hardware. I don't mean to argue or start petty fights. If you have any ideas I'm open to hear them.

Collapse -
Doesn't matter
by Jimmy Greystone / May 12, 2012 6:41 AM PDT
In reply to: to clarify

Doesn't matter on the registry cleaning, and for a while there was an astroturfing campaign for Glary programs on these forums (presumably others as well). Registry cleaners in general are unnecessary and quite often do more harm than good. There's a reason Microsoft pulled theirs (the first) and has yet to put it back out there. Plus there's the question of why any reputable company with a worthwhile product would need to resort to fake user testimonials to promote it. And for the record, I'm not a big fan of CCleaner either. Mostly because it's intended to be something of a precise surgical tool used by people who know the full implications of every option, not the shotgun panacea people use it for now.

And while a slow computer CAN be the result of bad hardware, it can also be a result of people simply expecting too much. Quite often you will find people who want prime rib but will only pay for dog food. Or more specifically, they will buy the cheapest low end computer they can find, and then get upset when it can't compete with $5,000 gaming machines. You may laugh, but it seriously happens, and quite often at that.

Since you've run Dell's diagnostics and it came out fine, then it seems time to at least entertain the idea that maybe your expectations are simply too high for the laptop. If you really want to be sure, go back and run Dell's diagnostics again if you did not run the thorough or extended tests. You may even want to go in and manually run some of the HDD related tests like the DST long test. It might take an hour or two, but if everything still comes up fine, then I think the answer has more to do with you than the computer. Bob also makes a good point about 2GB being a bit on the light side for Win7, and the 64-bit version at that.

Collapse -
I suggest...
by Willy / May 13, 2012 1:09 AM PDT
In reply to: to clarify

If you hadn't already, clean your laptop of any dust bunnies. You will need to clear all vents and if possible remove whatever in order to more directly clean. Your laptop maybe in a lower speed mode once it gets into the OS and/or the bios itself does this from the Dell supplied options. That's done to best save the laptop from heat and/or reduce for "greener" operation.

I have found users that said, they cleaned their laptops BUT upon my tear down, found the cpu itself just crammed with dust or worse the fan couldn't operate because of dust jam or failed entirely. If you can tear down to basics, do that, Dell supplies the maint. manual usually for many model#'s out there. Use the right tools!

Check the "power setting", reset if applicable usually present for laptops. May refer to battery setting, select optimum or play with it. Also, the Dell maker may supply that option directly, so see if under the control panel a possible Dell icon for such. Sorry, can'tr be more clear, too many laptops and variables abound.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Answer
2GB RAM on Windows 7? Looks light.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 12, 2012 5:17 AM PDT
In reply to: Windows 7 boot issues

Sorry I missed that in your other post.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?