Resolved Question

Windows 7 backup slow - alternatives?

I just installed Windows 7 a month ago, and have tried to continue my pre-W7 weekly ritual of backing up my HD to my external drive. I set it up to back up only my D (data) drive. However....

* I've noticed it's really slow. Last time, it took me 2 hours to complete, compared to ~15 minutes in Vista. Any idea why, or if there's any way to speed it up?
* Every time I browse my external drive, I see the same set of files from my first backup a month ago - it seems not to be updating them. Again, is there some setting I may have overlooked?

Thanks!

Discussion is locked

rshanmug2 has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Follow
Reply to: Windows 7 backup slow - alternatives?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Windows 7 backup slow - alternatives?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments

Best Answer

- Collapse -
Re: backup

What backup program do you use? Most of us prefer one that:
(a) just copies files so you can use Windows Explorer to get them back (no encryption, no compaction, not it's own file format)
(b) can be set to only copy files that are new or changed

Common programs used: Syncback or Microsofts Synctoy.
If you're not afraid of using the command line and a batch file: xxcopy is a free (for personal use) download and with the /bu switch iit does exactly what you need: backup.

Kees

- Collapse -
About XXCopy.

Hi Kees.

I noticed your post above about XXCopy. I see that http://www.pixelab.com/ now also offers "XXClone"

Features;

Makes a self-bootable clone of Windows system disk.

Supports Windows NT4, 2000, XP, and Server 2003.

Can restore the self-bootability in many cases.
It takes only a minute to run.
Everyone should keep the Freeware handy for just in case.

The Pro version is ideal for daily backup.

Supports common internal disk drives (IDE, SATA, SCSI).

Supports external USB/FIREWIRE drives (good for a laptop).

Competes with Norton Ghost, DriveImage, MaxBlast.

Much faster than any of them in typical daily backup.

Need not go to the DOS mode. Operates in regular Windows environment.

Simple to use by novices. IT professionals think it's great
==========================

Is this something you have tried yourself yet?

Mark

- Collapse -
No, never tried.

I'll have a look sometimes. Thanks for telling.

Kees

- Collapse -
(NT) Hmm, I might give it a try as well.
- Collapse -
backup
- Collapse -
Answer
And If You're Using Windows 7 Ultimate Or Pro...

..why not use the Control Panel-Backup and Restore- Create System Image? It creates a full mirror image of the hard drive which includes any new files you've placed on the computer plus the operating system, drivers, and all other software.

I've only used it a couple of times but so far, it's far better than the old Windows Backup at recovering and reinstalling should the system go down.

Hope this helps..

Grif

- Collapse -
I've said it before

and i will say it again, I never ceased to be amazed what I learn in these forums.

System image using Windows 7's own backup utility? Amazing.

Thanks Grif.

Mark

CNET Forums

Forum Info