Windows 7 forum

Question

Windows 7 Audio Conflict

by OSUPat / August 24, 2013 12:29 PM PDT

I recently had a home PC built specifically to tie into my home audio/video system. The goal was to have HDMI digital audio/video going out of the PC while being able to simultaneously broadcast two analog stereo signals to another source. This did not work on the initial setup therefore I had another sound card installed. Still not successful. I can only select one means of output to the multiple ports that I now have cables connected to. I am being told this is a Windows 7 issue and if I chose to go back to Windows XP I could make this happen. What is the solution?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows 7 Audio Conflict
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows 7 Audio Conflict
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
It is a Windows issue
by Jimmy Greystone / August 24, 2013 1:10 PM PDT

It is a Windows issue in general, not a Windows XP vs 7 issue. This is more to do with the way the Windows audio subsystem works where changes made in Vista would have Windows 7 being more likely to support this feature than XP. Kind of something you have to learn the hard way most of the time, but there are plenty of people who will claim XP was better at everything. There are always some who pine for days past, remembering only the good things and ignoring the bad. Like how the 1950s is frequently thought of as a golden age in the US, except it was rife with racism and gangs were running rampant. So whenever you hear someone claim XP was so much better at everything short of serving you coffee in the morning, take it with a good sized grain of salt.

Your one and only hope in all of this is finding a program which doesn't just use the default audio output device, but can be manually pointed to a specific output device. Such programs are rare and I'm unaware of any program that can output the same signal to multiple ports simultaneously. I suppose some professional DJ software might be able to do it, but I know next to nothing about that entire genre so I could be dead wrong on that. What you want to do isn't even generally possible with dedicated hardware like surround receivers.

If you can find three programs which will let you manually select an output port, you can try having different instances pointed at different outputs. It probably won't work, but it seems at least worth a try. I'd use different programs, since separate instances of the same program will likely clobber one another's settings. MPC-HC is one program capable of this as is XBMC. I believe VLC Player is also capable of it. So you could use MPC-HC and VLC Player as the secondary programs and XBMC as the primary. Just don't be surprised if it doesn't work. And stop listening to fools going on about the glory days of XP. It was little more than a warmed over Windows 2000 even at the time of release and people are all too quick to forget the massive teething pains that came with it. Suddenly users had to contend with user accounts, file permissions, a completely different driver model, IGPs of the day could barely handle the rather primitive skinning system. You look at the complaints people made about Vista and you'll see many of the same if you go back to around the time XP was released.

Collapse -
Answer
I've had an issue when I used
by orlbuckeye / August 26, 2013 9:33 PM PDT

a HDMI cable from my laptop to my TV. I had no problem at first all of a sudden the HDMI only sent video to the TV, When I checked the sound on of the sources was ATI which is my graphics card and I clicked it and then I had sound. I noticed that when I unplugged the HDMI the ATI went away and it went back to the realtek sound card in the laptop.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?