Computer Help forum

Alert

windows 7 and 8 both bsod ntoskrnl.exe

by ak47er13 / January 26, 2015 8:26 AM PST

In 2012 I decided to build a gaming PC. I sold my ps3 and games iPod and used Christmas and birthday money to get this done. The build tool me 4 months to get the money and parts. I originally had a radeon I think hd660 Or something like that. Wasent sure. It wouldn't fit in my motherboard because the one I wanted was discontinued and this new budget model only fits a 4 inch graphics card. Anything ****** covers the sata slots. Here are my current spec's
Intel core i3 Sandy bridge 2120
Samsund ssd 64 GB where windows is.
Blue caviar western digital 500 GB HDD
Evga 650 sc graphics 1gb
Ga-h61-ds2 motherboard.
500w cooler master PSU
8gb pny ram 8gb.
I installed windows 8 updated drivers and was ready to go. But things were not good though out that year I exoearenced a varrity off crashed at least 30 bsod. I thought it was my ram so I kept ignoring it until windows files got deleted and I had to do an install. 2 more fresh installs on my ssd later I said enough and tested my ram with memtest. Let run over 30 tests total most at 1 time was 8. No errors. I said screw it for a few more months and 4 more fresh installs later. I said maybe its a compatibility issue with win 8. I installed 7 but the crashed are still here but 7 doesn't delete startup files like 8 did. There only 2 types or crashed now. Pfn_list_corrupt and memory management. I used a bsod duno reader and found it was ntoskrnl.exe. my computer crashes at least 25 times a day or more from startup to ideling on win desktop to shut down to competive csgo. Random no one program sets it off. I'm wondering what to do I'm out of ideas
I checked
Ram
Drivers
Hard drives
Ssd
And everything else I can think off. No errors anywhere. Please help I can't take it anymore

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: windows 7 and 8 both bsod ntoskrnl.exe
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: windows 7 and 8 both bsod ntoskrnl.exe
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
"updated drivers" but how?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 26, 2015 8:32 AM PST

We know that no version of Windows to this day can fetch drivers better than than a trained rat. It's that bad.

There's also issues with firmware in some SSDs, the BIOS on some boards and so on. For the next round try this the old fashioned way.

1. Leave out the SSD.
2. If the BIOS is outdated, update it using the maker's instructions.
3. Clear the CMOS, set it to defaults, set date and time.
4. The HDD goes on the lowest numbered SATA port, the ODD up a few.
5. Install Windows. Don't use Microsoft's update driver.

6. Install motherboard drivers, audio, video and if an Intel board, Intel's RST.

Now if this is a stock cooler and heatsink compound, and you get that BSOD, I redo the compound.

If that fails, time to start RMA'ing parts.
Bob

PS. Covered SATA ports? Those right angle cables sometimes work around that.
PPS. More than one PCIe x16 slot? Try the other.

Collapse -
thankz
by ak47er13 / January 26, 2015 11:30 AM PST

Thanks this is kind of the direction I was thinking of going. But you added some extras. Thanks I'll post back on the changes

Collapse -
nothing
by ak47er13 / January 29, 2015 3:12 AM PST

I got rid of the ssd and am using only my hdd. Still crashing

Collapse -
Toss the GPU
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 29, 2015 3:33 AM PST
In reply to: nothing
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?