Windows 7 forum

General discussion

Windows 7 64-bit - how are drivers?

by Roth99 / January 17, 2010 1:51 AM PST

I am about to buy a new laptop. Many come with Win 7 64-bit loaded. I am concerned about drivers for printers, etc. For example, I have a Lasjet 6MP and an Epson V500P scanner.

I doubt there is a 64-bit driver for the Laserjet. Are generic postscript drivers available that would work?

And how have folks' experience been with older software? I still use Managing Your Money, v.12, a DOS program.

Thanks!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows 7 64-bit - how are drivers?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows 7 64-bit - how are drivers?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Did you try Add New Printer?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 17, 2010 2:03 AM PST

The 6MP is baked in.

The scanner would be checked at .... epson.com. I have to ask that you try that. The DOS program should be fine. Try DOSBOX or XP Mode if you have 7 Pro.
Bob

Collapse -
Thanks!
by Roth99 / January 17, 2010 12:57 PM PST

Great! Thanks for the info and suggestion. Much appreciated.

Collapse -
you can check the drivers
by TaraS_WinTeam / January 21, 2010 8:20 AM PST
Collapse -
Maybe ... maybe not ...
by Bill Osler / January 22, 2010 10:26 PM PST
Collapse -
All of my systems were covered except for Logitech
by lakephillip / January 22, 2010 2:34 PM PST

I have a modded Gateway Q660 Processor 6 GB 800mhz Mem;Nvidia 9800 GT
Lite-on Blu-ray combo; HP DVD-RW/Lightscribe;Coolermaster 850W PS.
For Drivers not found automatically(almost all) I used Vista X64
Drivers.
With My HP Laptop I modded 4GB 6400 800mhz Ram Nvidia Geo-Force 7 Vid
Athlon x64 processor....all drivers not automatically found used Vista X64 Drivers with 100% success....
My only exception is Logitech which is using the launch of Windows 7 to artificially retire the Logitech Quickcam Orbit MP which cost me close to $200.00 a few years ago. Logitech Stubbornly has a position of too bad so sad. We are supporting that model in Windows 7 x64 But a Nice Intelligent Man posted online a work-around to use Winzip to take apart the installer, and voila you bypass the Logitech installer,you use the MSI installer, you get full use of your camera. I personally won't ever buy Logitech again. Other than that most companies are completely cooperative regarding upgrades.

Collapse -
Logitech isn't supporting Quick Cam Orbit MP X64
by lakephillip / January 22, 2010 2:38 PM PST

I earlier meant to say Logitech ISN'T supporting Orbit MP in Windows 7 64-Bit.

Collapse -
i know you're already working, but
by ramarc / January 22, 2010 11:12 PM PST

i kept trying various logitech vista/win7 drivers only to discover they didn't like my camera. but then i opened up windows live messenger, and it immediately recognized and could use the cam -- the generic driver included in win7 worked.

Collapse -
And how have folks' experience been with older software
by Dango517 / January 22, 2010 5:49 PM PST
Collapse -
If it works in XP or Vista....
by PECONET / January 22, 2010 7:05 PM PST

Basically if the drivers to your printer (or other devices) run under XP or Vista then they will work in the new operating system (Windows 7).
Just have the driver disk and then just run it, Windows 7 will do the rest, or, Window 7 will do it automatically, to do this just plug in the device and see if Windows 7 picks it up, if not just put in the drivers disk and run it.

Collapse -
Drivers for Vista usually work in 7
by rpcimino / January 23, 2010 8:50 AM PST

My experience has been that with some HP printers, if the drivers work in Vista, they will work in Windows 7. But if you have only the XP drivers, don't count on them working. They probably won't. However, if you have Windows 7 Pro or better, use the Windows XP Mode. It works really well for hardware incompatibilities.

Collapse -
Can Win 7 access the XP drivers?
by Bill Osler / January 23, 2010 10:15 AM PST

When you are using the XP drivers in XP Mode, can Win 7 processes access the devices via the XP drivers? Or are they only accessible to the processes running on the virtual XP machine?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?