General discussion

windows 7 32-bit or 64-bit

by xxxsz / February 15, 2011 7:57 PM PST

Hello, I'm new on this forum, I have the following configuration:
Intel Core i5 460M
HDD 320GB 5400rpm
Radeon HD5470 512mb
RAM 3GB DDR3

A lot of users recommended me to put windows 7 64-bit, because the architecture of the processor is 64-bit.Please let me know what you think about this.Thanks a lot.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: windows 7 32-bit or 64-bit
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: windows 7 32-bit or 64-bit
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: 64-bit OS
by Kees_B Forum moderator / February 15, 2011 8:25 PM PST

With (only) 3 GB RAM a 64-bit OS doesn't have advantages. Those only come when you've got more than 4 GB and use that. But I don't see much laptops with that.

Kees

Collapse -
Not right now
by Jimmy Greystone / February 15, 2011 9:54 PM PST
In reply to: Re: 64-bit OS

Not right now, but what if they wanted to upgrade to 4GB+ in the future? A 64-bit OS would offer that potential, while a 32-bit OS would not. At least a non-PAE 32-bit OS like Windows.

Collapse -
Today I use nothign but the 64 bit.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 15, 2011 11:21 PM PST

Even my lowly netbook with 2GB RAM is on the 64 bit version. The advantages go beyond memory addressing so I'd install the 64 bit now.
Bob

Collapse -
Much Depends On Your Current Applications..
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / February 16, 2011 12:36 AM PST

Although 64 bit will run most current applications, we've got a number of really old programs which were tested with the 64 bit version and they simply didn't cut it.. As such, all our Windows 7 machines here are using the 32 bit version of Win7 Pro.. If you've got a lot of old programs which are required to be installed, test them first on a 64 bit version, if you have the option to do so.

Even a few of our older printers were able run using the 32 bit drivers for Vista but 64 bit drivers weren't available..

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Applications
by JasonWinTeam / February 17, 2011 4:14 AM PST

If you purchase Windows 7 and install 32bit, you won't be able to use the same disc / product code to reinstall it with 64bit at a later time, so you may want to go with 64bit. However, if you're running 32bit already, this obviously won't be an issue. Purchasing a full version of Windows 7 and doing a clean install will do the trick.

Collapse -
W 7 32 bit vs W 7 64 bit
by jrap30 / February 19, 2011 11:35 PM PST
In reply to: Applications

That is incorrect if you receive both version of W 7 when you brought it...you can always re-insatll W7 and try 64 bit version. In 2009 Microsoft was providing both copies, if you purchase an OEM version NOW, I see them listed seperately on-line. Everyone is on the 64 bit hype, but if you have older programs and maybe an old printer, there is a possibility it will not work. I did a clean install on my PC from XP,32 bit to W7 32 bit for that reason. On my son's laptop, I upgraded from Vista 32 bit to W 7 32 bit so he could just do a straight upgrade, but after 6 months since it was having problems with Windows Media Player, he wanted to re-install and we installed 64 bit.

So it is up to you, until every program in the world is 64 bit and you are using more than 4 Gigabytes of RAM...more hype than anything else. W 7 32 bit is great I have been using it since Jan 2010.

Collapse -
64-bit All the Way
by smelton / February 19, 2011 9:06 AM PST

I built a PC and installed Windows 7 64-bit on it. I have a lot of older software, and it all runs with no problems.

Plus, Windows 7 has a "XP mode" you can use if you find a program that won't run properly.

All in all, there is no practical reason not to run 64-bit Windows 7.

Collapse -
64 bit all the way
by mechanicalDoctorWho / February 19, 2011 11:38 PM PST
In reply to: 64-bit All the Way

No practical reason to use 32 bit. XP mode may help you with some old programs but some will not even load on the 64 bit version. Stick with 32 bit - the vast majority of people do not need more than 3 GB of memory.

Collapse -
win 7 64-bit
by Dementing / February 19, 2011 7:18 PM PST

I found some programs appear to run slower, including MS Office 2003 and Windows Explorer, mainly in the open, save and refresh departments. Some software for devices can't be installed. My Epson Pefrection 1260 scanner is sitting idle because I can't install from the disk that came with it and there are no 64-bit drivers for it from Epson or anyone else. Similarly for my Epson Stylus Photo R290. Win 7 had drivers for it but other necessary features (eg the disk printing utility) could not be installed from the disk. I had to find a work-around - installing the features for a slightly different printer (R280)and then the drivers for R290.
Dementing

Collapse -
64 bit but be wary
by MKorkowski / February 20, 2011 4:52 AM PST

I'm on 64 bit and I have a complement of many old programs. You will have to cut the cord on some these old programs. Anything that is 16 bit will not work on 64 bit Windows 7. Also any program that may be 32 bit but have a 16 bit installer will not work. I have seen that with a few programs. All in all 64 bit is the way to go. You can use all your ram instead of the 4GB limit which is actually less. I'm running 8GB. 64 bit runs just about all the 32 bit programs and in time those will disappear jsut like 16 bit. 64 bit is the choice!

Collapse -
-64 and happy
by websquad / February 20, 2011 5:22 AM PST

When I converted from XP to Win 7 I installed it as 64-bit, even though I had only 4GB RAM. However, since I use a lot of Photoshop CS5, which takes advantage of the larger 64-bit memory space when available, I knew I was going to eventually update the RAM.... a did so a few months back, to 8GB. The only problem I've had in going from 32-bit XP to 64-bit Win 7 was the monitoring software for my Belkin UPS system; however, Belkin decided to exit the UPS market and no longer supports their UPS systems (including any Win 7 upgrade), so the -64 bit issue was really not an issue.

One thing that concerned me was the potential of entering and recovering from hibernation: would it take twice as long with 8GB RAM -- well, my experience is that I can not really tell the difference -- hibernation in Win 7 is super fast compared to XP.

Collapse -
windows 7 32-bit or 64-bit
by Shewak / March 17, 2011 7:02 PM PDT

Hello,
This also depends on the type of Mother-board in side your computer, whether it is 32 bit or 64 bit type.

A lot of users recommended you to put windows 7 64-bit, because the architecture of the processor is 64-bit. They are absolutely right. The latest technology allows you to use either of them,
I too recommend you to use windows 7 - 64 bit, as you have the latest configuration. Go for 64 bit without any hesitation.

All the best

shewak@gmail.com

Collapse -
64 bit
by Dango517 / April 29, 2011 5:43 PM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?